Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Smörgåsbord of new AP Racing Big Brake Kits now launching...for C5, C6, and C7!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Default A Smörgåsbord of new AP Racing Big Brake Kits now launching...for C5, C6, and C7!

Hi Gents,
We've been busy bees this winter, and are launching a slew of killer new front and rear AP Racing big brake kits over the next couple of weeks! We now have variants to cover the C5, C6, and even the C7 Stingray. Call me (704-824-6030), email me, or message me, and we'll help you choose the best system to meet your needs and get you ready for track season.

Available Today
Essex Designed AP Racing Endurance Competition Big Brake Kit- FRONT C5 & C6
Six piston, 355x32mm disc, designed to be beaten mercilessly on the track. Clears C6 Z06 OEM front wheels without a spacer. Also clears C5 Z06 rear OEM 18's when run on front of car without a spacer.

Available Next Week

Essex Designed AP Racing Endurance Competition Big Brake Kit- REAR C5 & C6
Four piston, 340x28mm disc, designed to be beaten mercilessly on the track, while still retaining full parking brake functionality. Clears both the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 OEM Rear wheels without a spacer. Integrates seamlessly with the Hardbar T1 front kit, Essex Sprint front kit, or Essex Endurance front kit.

Essex Designed AP Racing Endurance Competition Big Brake Kit- FRONT C7 Stingray
Six piston, 355x32mm disc, designed to be beaten mercilessly on the track. The components in this kit are very similar to those in our C5/C6 Kits, so everything in the link above for those kits applies. Clears Stingray Z51 Front OEM wheels without a spacer.

AP Racing Factory Big Brake Kit- FRONT C5/C6
Six piston, 362x32, crams about as much disc as humanly possible inside an 18" wheel. Comes in painted red or black finish. Clears C6 Z06 front OEM wheels without a spacer.

Spiegler front and rear SS brake lines for the C7 Stingray are also now shipping.
These bolt up to the factory calipers with no modifications required. These are built and tested in the USA, using the finest quality components. They have fully stainless end fittings, an abrasion resistant coating, a unique torsion system to prevent twisting, and are DOT compliant.

Front Spiegler SS Brake Line for C7 Stingray

Rear Spiegler SS Brake Line for C7 Stingray

We will take you one step closer to the big boys. The C5.R, C6.R, C7.R and Corvette Daytona Prototypes have all run/are running AP Racing brakes for a reason. We are using technology derived from those programs and bringing it to the average enthusiast. It's tough to argue with the success these cars have seen on the track using AP Racing brakes.

Action Express Corvette Daytona Prototype

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 01-16-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Difference between the endurance kit and the AP Racing BBK?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:52 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jwebsta32
Difference between the endurance kit and the AP Racing BBK?
Here's a good overview of the differences between the AP Racing Factory BBK's and the Essex Designed AP Racing Competition BBK's.
Some of the core differences on these Corvette kits:
Competition Kit vs. Factory Kit
  • Anodized vs. painted finish
  • Ventilated stainless steel pistons vs. aluminum pistons
  • Piston springs vs. no piston springs
  • 355x32mm, 72 vane disc vs. 362x32mm, 48 vane disc
  • No pads in kit vs. AP Racing road pads in kit

Basically, the Competition Kit is a more focused product intended for pure performance. The Factory Kits are also based on performance, but add an element of style. Think of it as pure racing vs. road / track.

You can read more about the AP Racing Corvette Factory BBK's on our blog.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 01-16-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Any plans on releasing some higher end kits using the race "radical" calipers (not the street version like Stillen)?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to put my hands on these kits during the final stages of development. First class options at a club racer's budget. I would even go as far to say they are the nicest kits at this price point. Jeff and crew did a very nice job putting the above packages together that work great for 99 percent of the Corvette out there, track or street, or a combination of both!!!

We official dropped our DRM AP Package and are now selling the Essex AP Packages to our shop and mail order customers. Don't worry guys with the "old" setup. We are still producing replacement parts into the foreseeable future. Even working on a upgrade rotor using AP disks for longer life and better performance.

Jeff I see the black car is on the ground. We should do some brake test before and after a large BBQ lunch

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

AP brakes are great love my sets i have had!

Still need 1 more ingredient to make mine finalized.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
Any plans on releasing some higher end kits using the race "radical" calipers (not the street version like Stillen)?
+1 on that
Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Werks
+1 on that
I hear you gents. An ultra-high-end racing Radi-Cal BBK is something we can definitely consider. We've helped 3-4 end-user customers piece that type of kit together through a couple of our wholesale customers (Hardbar, Finspeed, etc.). The calipers we've used for the front systems in most of those cases has been the AP Racing CP6665, so we know it will go on the car and work well. This is the same caliper used in German Touring Car (DTM). This caliper uses a 25mm thick pad, and can run up to a 380x35mm disc. Below are a few pics of it:

Forum member "Screamin Z" put these on the front of his ridiculously bad-a@@ Z06 track monster this past fall. Hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing his pic:

Gary at Hardbar had the original "DTM" version of these on his C6 Z06 as well. He fabricated his own aluminum bridge air duct to use with them, instead of using the carbon fiber:

We would consider doing such a kit 'in-house' at Essex if there is enough demand. The last bit is key though. We can't do one-off kits, as it's simply too expensive. There is time and cost involved to design, prototype, and produce a BBK. If we had a handful of guys willing to pre-pay for such a kit, we'd definitely do it. I could probably make it happen with 5 kits pre-sold. If you guys are serious, please shoot me an email and we'll see what we can do. If we want to do it, the time is now, as track season is obviously on the horizon. I will warn you that it will be expensive though (but I'm sure you already know that having bleeding edge technology is not cheap!) A ballpark figure to chew on would be roughly $10,000-$12,000 for a complete front kit. I think the most cost-effective solution would be to use such a front kit in conjunction with our standard rear Competition kit shown above, which should be more than sufficient for just about anybody, regardless of what they're doing with the car. Since we're using the machined logo on the rear calipers, they'll also visually mate up quite nicely to just about any of AP's high-end racing Radi-Cal's.

Also of note, it's highly likely that we'll be offering such an ultra-high-end type of kit for the new C7 Z06. Yesterday I was actually making a laundry list of the AP Racing brake components that Pratt & Miller are running on the C7.R's, and evaluating whether or not we can put them into a kit for retail C7 customers. If we could choose calipers and discs that would work on both the C5/C6 and C/7 platforms, that would be good for cost savings. That said, the brackets and hats will definitely need to be different due to chassis differences.

Anyway, email me if you're serious about buying this type of kit. If we have enough interest, then I'm all for helping you guys get it done.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 01-17-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I was able to put my hands on these kits during the final stages of development. First class options at a club racer's budget. I would even go as far to say they are the nicest kits at this price point. Jeff and crew did a very nice job putting the above packages together that work great for 99 percent of the Corvette out there, track or street, or a combination of both!!!

We official dropped our DRM AP Package and are now selling the Essex AP Packages to our shop and mail order customers. Don't worry guys with the "old" setup. We are still producing replacement parts into the foreseeable future. Even working on a upgrade rotor using AP disks for longer life and better performance.

Jeff I see the black car is on the ground. We should do some brake test before and after a large BBQ lunch

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Thanks Randy! The black car unfortunately has still not been driven...it's hibernating! I'm always down for BBQ at the drop of a hat though...don't need an excuse for that.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
AP brakes are great love my sets i have had!

Still need 1 more ingredient to make mine finalized.
Thank you sir.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No issues at all!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, do you have a 2piece j-hooked rotor that will fit on the rear of an OEM C5 set up?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

No sir...only complete rear big brake kit...sorry!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:39 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to getting an AP kit here soon!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 427ZM
Looking forward to getting an AP kit here soon!

The page for our Essex Designed AP Racing C7 Stingray Front Competition Big Brake Kit is now live. We plan to start shipping these next week.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

We are now accepting orders for our rear kits for the C5 & C6, and they will ship out later this week. Please give us a call.

Essex Designed AP Racing Endurance Competition Big Brake Kit- REAR C5 & C6

Four piston, 340x28mm disc, designed to be beaten mercilessly on the track, while still retaining full parking brake functionality. Clears both the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 OEM Rear wheels without a spacer. Integrates seamlessly with the Essex Sprint front kit, or Essex Endurance front kit shown above, as well as the Hardbar T1 front kit.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

My new front endurance kit worked so awesomely at ACS a week ago. The system actually felt better and stronger the harder I drove the car. I came from the back to finish in third in GT2. Porsche Cup cars are supposed to be great at braking, but I will post my in-car video of the two P-cars I was racing. I had the advantage in the brake zone to the extent I actually used that advantage to pass from fourth to third.

Get notified of new replies

To A Smörgåsbord of new AP Racing Big Brake Kits now launching...for C5, C6, and C7!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Which pads are you using Oli?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Which pads are you using Oli?
Hawk DTC-70.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Great catching up with you this morning Jeff, been way to long!

LG Motorsports will be a full resale and install center for these awesome kits along side of all of our tracking and performance packages!

Of course we will be offering them with Cobalt Friction pads as well!

Quick Reply: A Smörgåsbord of new AP Racing Big Brake Kits now launching...for C5, C6, and C7!