Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Patching a BFG Drag Radial - 1 day before race

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patching a BFG Drag Radial - 1 day before race

Hi all,

Woke up this morning and saw that my driver side DR has a screw in it.

I've got a race coming up tomorrow, so I don't have time to buy a new tire.

My tread is really worn down, so I was planning on getting new tires anyway, but what should I do in the meantime for the Corvette Challenge tomorrow?

A) I figure if I bring it some place, they won't patch it because the tread is too low, is this correct, or do tire places not care about tread if you bring them racing tires?

B) Go to Advance Auto and buy one of those tire patching kits, and do my best to patch it myself... i'm thinking pull the screw out, jab that rubberized gunk in the hole, snip off the extra to make it flush, and then do a couple burnouts and see if it sticks/holds pressure

C) Realize I'm endangering myself and others, and either not race, or put street tires back on the car for tomorrow's race.

D) Call Roger and hope that he has some spare DR's hanging around for tomorrow Corvette Challenge...

Thoughts?

John
Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Take the wheel with the tire off and bring it to a tire store and tell them that it's off a race car which is not driven on the street.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pr1mu5
B) Go to Advance Auto and buy one of those tire patching kits, and do my best to patch it myself... i'm thinking pull the screw out, jab that rubberized gunk in the hole, snip off the extra to make it flush, and then do a couple burnouts and see if it sticks/holds pressure
John

WalMart also has tire plug repair kits. It will work just fine.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies.. I found a place that would patch it, drove it over there, and the screw was no longer in the tire... I was afraid to touch it before I got to a tire place in case I lost too much air, but apparently I must've just picked up a screw head, embedded 1/8th inch into the tire tread, and it popped out.

Tire pressure is stable, and no hole/leaks (no bubbles) so I guess I'm fine....

Still getting new tires next week though... just have to figure out if I get 275 or 315 BFG Drag Radials... I have 315's now, but with my stock car/stock rims, I wonder if the 275 size will be better for me...
Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

If you are running the 315's on 11" rims, I would not drop to 275's..if you are presently running the 315's on a 9.5 or 10" rim then drop to the 275's for sure...
Old 04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
If you are running the 315's on 11" rims, I would not drop to 275's..if you are presently running the 315's on a 9.5 or 10" rim then drop to the 275's for sure...
Think that's my answer... I'm running 9.5" rims, only running the 315's cuz I got em for $100 for the pair from another forum member... just to try out drag racing... but now that I'm hoooooked think I'll get me the right size tire... thanks.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Patching a BFG Drag Radial - 1 day before race

Quick Reply: Patching a BFG Drag Radial - 1 day before race