Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Drag Racing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Drag Racing
Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the & 1/8 mile, Events
CF Timeslip database

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
danielf
CF Senior Member

Default Coolant Flush ???

Looking for any help or pointers on How To Completely drain/flush ALL off my antifreeze out of my rad system and engine block I have three weekends of racing coming up and don't want to get caught with even a small amount of the block antifreeze left over. Thanks guys
danielf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Fuzzy Dice
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran

FWIW, I take all my cars to a local radiator service company...they have a system that pushes clear water via 100lbs. of compressed air through the cooling system and block.... when it runs clear you are done...flushes everything including the block....then they refill with whatever you want....

Cost me $79.00 last year...well worth it in my opinion...
Fuzzy Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
REDGAR
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Here is a novice question, would it make sense for a do it yourself to do it several times to get it all out? Maybe three or five cycles of getting the engine warm? Is that a silly idea?
REDGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
kazman
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDGAR View Post
Here is a novice question, would it make sense for a do it yourself to do it several times to get it all out? Maybe three or five cycles of getting the engine warm? Is that a silly idea?
I think that would work but what are you doing with all that old dirty coolant? Trans flushes are same. It's easier to have a shop do the work and dispose of the old materials.
kazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
danielf
CF Senior Member

Default Tough spots...

From what I can tell so far is it's the trapped fluid behind the water pump that gives you the most trouble. I remember Preston used to have a in-line water hose hook up to assist in a flush. When I get some time I'm going to try to look into something along that idea that I can get a clean flush... Don't know for sure yet. Edgar I have tried your suggestion and it works but you still just keep diluting it each time you flush. Thanks guys
Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Z06 4 Me
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Looking for any help or pointers on How To Completely drain/flush ALL off my antifreeze out of my rad system and engine block I have three weekends of racing coming up and don't want to get caught with even a small amount of the block antifreeze left over. Thanks guys

Hi, I'm a novice so this is probably a dumb question, but why are you trying to get all the coolant out to go racing? Does that give more power?
Z06 4 Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Capthuff
AMP Racing member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12
Support Corvetteforum!

You cant (aren't supposed to) run coolant on the track, as it is a real pain to clean up if you blow a line. Antifreeze is really slippery stuff.
Capthuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
danielf
CF Senior Member

Default New Trick...

After watching one of those change over coolant machines Make a mess of my front belt area, I thought of a way to blow out the block coolant by using a hose and valve setup at the inside hose connection by the thermostat that will allow you to slow purge out the coolant with the proper setup , WITH no soaking of the belts and air cond. unit. Took some time to set up but I think it will work great for next season change over.... Anything controlled is better than soaking down the whole right side of the engine bay... Take Care Dan
PS ... Watch some of the Pinks episodes when antifreeze gets on the track... and watch Rich Boil Over

Last edited by danielf; 11-02-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Z06 4 Me
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthuff View Post
You cant (aren't supposed to) run coolant on the track, as it is a real pain to clean up if you blow a line. Antifreeze is really slippery stuff.
I see now. Thanks!
Z06 4 Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
larry00
CF Senior Member

Larry Hedge

I cut an old radator hose and put in a fitting to hook up a hose and bottled up the first run to add back later and then flushed at will.
$ 79.00 will buy a lot of race gas !
larry00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Drag Racing
Reload this Page Coolant Flush ???

Tags
1989, 2001, 2004, antifreeze, c4, c5, c6, coolant, corvette, drag, drain, flush, forum, racing, radiator, zo6