Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

ATCO Sunday March 10/ New found respect for the 10 sec drivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Lethal427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATCO Sunday March 10/ New found respect for the 10 sec drivers

Thought I'd post a little about my 4 runs at ATCO March 10th, I have a 08 Black Z06 w/440" , WCCH Worked Heads, Mcleod Clutch, ARH Headers, BB Fusion, 102 LSX Intake & TB, Halltech Super Beeline C/F 102 Pak etc, etc.....540+ rwhp on a Mustang Dyno, besides all that, I love the car, it is a screamer!!! to start, no excuses, I ran the best I could, I really have no seat time, just got the car back from Slowhawk Performance in Bridgewater , Ma, Don and Nick are good guys, they'll take care of you, the tune is spot on!! my 1st pass, I was fumbing with the line loc, no good!! need to practice, blew 2nd gear pretty bad, and let off, 2nd pass, really just cleaned off the M/T 'S ON 17" WELDS, left at about 3000 rpm, spun some, felt like I shifted early, ended up 11.3 @127 and 1.9 60'. 3rd pass, over eager, looking to hit the 9's this time, I was wound up!! haha!! really blew this pass!! embarrassing to say the least...well, the final pass felt primo spinning most through 1st but hitting 2nd good, I reall thought this was the one, anyway, 11.5 @127 2.0 at the 60' mark, both runs 99.7 fir the 1/8 mile, so, just saying, I'm in awe of the men who go out and hit hoigh 9's and low tens with much less than I do!! thatws some serious driving to hit them times!! I know I need major leaque seat time, I'm 50 and havn't had a standard in 30 years!! that was with a 1970 LT1, I was so good I never even used the clutch, it was all second nature back then!!! well, that was then, I'm a lttile down on myself, but, I always figure, if I go racing for the day, and get home with myself and car in oone piece, then, it's all good, great time, seen alot of old friends, met some new ones, see you at the track, I'll be a practicing!!!!

Last edited by Lethal427; 03-12-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Lethal427
Pro

pics as soon as I have time...
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

all that matters is...did you have fun?

We all start somewhere and whether your experienced or not if you have a high powered ride that you haven't put on the track before it's going to be a learning game of how to tame it to get the best times you can get.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Lethal427
Pro

Had a great time, minus the long waits, it was a good thing, great turnout!!lookin forward to bring my times down!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 AM
2003VETT
Melting Slicks

Location: Still the Fastest (still running) Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta respect the shifters! It ain't easy, practice, practice.. Seat time does it!

What about the guys who are rowin into the nines!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all about the fun factor. Times are very good for the 1st time out there with a manual.

I remember the manual days. 1 car had 125 passes on it, 3 tranny's, 4 clutches and a bent axle in the 12 bolt. It was fun slamming gears though.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Lethal427
Pro

Don, sounds like you where rippin that car to shreds, you should be banned from driving a manual!!!! your abusive and a destoyer!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

I would think w/540whp that a 130+ trap would be there ...am I wrong ?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Nice to have met you out there. Sorry I did not see any of your passes. I was concentrating on Andrew's black C5Z. Let us know the next time you are down. Perhaps we can assist. Glad to see you had fun and enjoying the car.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw your car and one of your runs where you spun badly..The car has potential to run low 10's maybe 9's if you can get your 60' times down..

I have the LMB C6 that won the GM vs MOPAR I only have a few mods, Headers, converter, CAI, and a tune by Cartek out of NJ.

I was running 11.63 - 11.64 @ 118 mph all day with 1.60 60' times but I'm an automatic, a lot easier to launch than a stick car..

Keep at it and you will see 10's for SURE... maybe 9's
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Lethal427
Pro

The great thing about the times I ran, has motivated me in a big way,!!!I'm determined to get the most I can from my set up!! GARY2004Z06 it was great to meet you, if I remember correctly, you run sick numbers!! You have really earned them!! No doubt about that!! Jpee, I saw your car, nice! I wanted to come over and introduce myself , however, you looked like you had enough goin on w/out me interrupting! No doubt, I'll be seeing you all soon.I've got the rowing the standard bug bad! I really would like nothing more than to master my car, it really is a beast, and I want to tame it!! See you at the track!! Soon
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal427
Thought I'd post a little about my 4 runs at ATCO March 10th, I have a 08 Black Z06 w/440" , WCCH Worked Heads, Mcleod Clutch, ARH Headers, BB Fusion, 102 LSX Intake & TB, Halltech Super Beeline C/F 102 Pak etc, etc.....540+ rwhp on a Mustang Dyno, besides all that, I love the car, it is a screamer!!! to start, no excuses, I ran the best I could, I really have no seat time, just got the car back from Slowhawk Performance in Bridgewater , Ma, Don and Nick are good guys, they'll take care of you, the tune is spot on!! my 1st pass, I was fumbing with the line loc, no good!! need to practice, blew 2nd gear pretty bad, and let off, 2nd pass, really just cleaned off the M/T 'S ON 17" WELDS, left at about 3000 rpm, spun some, felt like I shifted early, ended up 11.3 @127 and 1.9 60'. 3rd pass, over eager, looking to hit the 9's this time, I was wound up!! haha!! really blew this pass!! embarrassing to say the least...well, the final pass felt primo spinning most through 1st but hitting 2nd good, I reall thought this was the one, anyway, 11.5 @127 2.0 at the 60' mark, both runs 99.7 fir the 1/8 mile, so, just saying, I'm in awe of the men who go out and hit hoigh 9's and low tens with much less than I do!! thatws some serious driving to hit them times!! I know I need major leaque seat time, I'm 50 and havn't had a standard in 30 years!! that was with a 1970 LT1, I was so good I never even used the clutch, it was all second nature back then!!! well, that was then, I'm a lttile down on myself, but, I always figure, if I go racing for the day, and get home with myself and car in oone piece, then, it's all good, great time, seen alot of old friends, met some new ones, see you at the track, I'll be a practicing!!!!
It sounds like you had a blast. That's what keeps you going back, like the fish that got away.
Once you get down the basics, you'll start shedding .1's quickly and your mph will go up a bunch also.
It's hard to learn on such a fast, limited traction vehicle also.
Give a shout next time you go and maybe we can give you some pointers.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

Gary & Rob can and will help you out on launch technique and more if you listen. They helped me along with 6 or 7 others all in one day in November. Rob's the man with his fast, yet calculated tell all's to net me my personal best 60', ET, 8th mile time and mph and fastest/quickest 1/4 mile ET's.

Seat time is a huge part. Another huge part is listening.

Cheers and good luck on getting a great ET
Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Everyone has a bunch of lousy passes in their early careers, but like anything else, if you stick with it, listen to those who are further down the path than you and practice, you'll get it.

It's really rewarding when you put it all together and get a fast pass in a manual car.

Hope to see you at PBIR sometime.

Last edited by Joe_G; 03-15-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Lethal427
Pro

I'm all ears!!! looking forward to knockin tmy times down!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Everyone has a bunch of lousy passes in their early careers, but like anything else, if you stick with it, listen to those who are further down the path than you and practice, you'll get it.

It's really rewarding when you put it all together and get a fast pass in a manual car.

Hope to see you at PBIR sometime.

Joe what or how much improvement in ET do you think you would get if you had a "Liberty" 5 speed trans ...same as the Pro Stock cars use.. you don't need the clutch to shift, & there is NO dog leg..just pull straight back, then push straight forward...I had one when I ran a D/A in Comp eliminator way back when I was young LOL..

Liberty Trans is the best, I personally think its better than an automatic ....in the 1/4 mile !!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jpee
Joe what or how much improvement in ET do you think you would get if you had a "Liberty" 5 speed trans ...same as the Pro Stock cars use.. you don't need the clutch to shift, & there is NO dog leg..just pull straight back, then push straight forward...I had one when I ran a D/A in Comp eliminator way back when I was young LOL..

Liberty Trans is the best, I personally think its better than an automatic ....in the 1/4 mile !!
I'm thinking not that much...surely not $25k worth. And I couldn't live with that whine in my daily driver.

I think money is better spent on a clutch that will slip and not bog. Check out Lou launching on the redline but bogging...1.7 60 foot.

But man that trans is cool for a race car, I agree with you!!

Get notified of new replies

To ATCO Sunday March 10/ New found respect for the 10 sec drivers

Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
jpee
Race Director

I'm thinking not that much...surely not $25k worth. And I couldn't live with that whine in my daily driver.

I think money is better spent on a clutch that will slip and not bog. Check out Lou launching on the redline but bogging...1.7 60 foot.

Joe... the only thing I can see from the video is he bogged leaving the line, & he crossed the finish line in 4th gear...when I had my D/A I would cross the finish line in 5th (it was 1-1 ratio) at 9300 RPM

That car ran 7.97 @ 171 mph and it was only 290 CI Bow Tie motor...the motor was built by Bob Ingles from Bedford NY and it had a Don Ness Tube Chassis .... it had 5.xx gears in it depending on the weather, & track conditions....

PS I wish I had the $$$ I had put into that car.....

Last edited by jpee; 03-15-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:31 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Hello,

Which clutch are you referring to that slips? My stick C4 is currently in the shop getting a 9" solid axle. I will also at some point change the clutch and would like to get one that I can slip (and have it live).

Thanks,
Steve

PS-Cool video of your (In-Car) pass!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
Hello,

Which clutch are you referring to that slips? My stick C4 is currently in the shop getting a 9" solid axle. I will also at some point change the clutch and would like to get one that I can slip (and have it live).

Thanks,
Steve

PS-Cool video of your (In-Car) pass!!
I still have my OE clutch installed in Bowling Green 72000 miles and 491 drag strip passes ago. Still gets 1.4's at will.

I have yet to see an aftermarket clutch that will allow the slip launch I do, seems the guys that get the dual disk end up bogging. I am always looking as I guess I'll have to replace my clutch someday. They don't make mine anymore.

I think McLeod makes a slipper clutch but I don't know much about it...I think RobZ runs it, you might pm him.

Thanks, I did that with my iPhone and a $20 suction mount from Best Buy. I like it too, wish I'd have thought to do it a long time ago as I'd like to see how I do on each run.

Quick Reply: ATCO Sunday March 10/ New found respect for the 10 sec drivers