Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Valve to piston clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Valve to piston clearance

I need to recheck my VPC on my engine after i change to my new cam. I wonder if the method by replacing the spring with a soft spring and then pushing down on the valve is a good method opposed to dismantling the heads (which i prefer no to do).
Old 01-13-2008, 10:06 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
I need to recheck my VPC on my engine after i change to my new cam. I wonder if the method by replacing the spring with a soft spring and then pushing down on the valve is a good method opposed to dismantling the heads (which i prefer no to do).

That should work fine but remember intake valve to piston clearance is the closest 5 to 7 degrees after TDC as the valve is chasing the piston and we have been .045 on the intake before and no problems but if you could have mroe that would be good and exhaust we have been .080 and zero problmes.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thx for the info.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're that close, i suggest you set it up with the valve train that will be run and check it by tightening the rocker nut at 5-10 degrees before and after TDC for exhaust and intake respectively. Reher Morrision's website has detailed instructions to check it. Assuming your radial clearance and valve angles are correct, you shouldn't have to remove the head.

On a recent engine, i had zero p to v clearance with the soft springs, but it cleared with the springs that were to be run and had no issues after 2 seasons.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Put the checking springs on and rotate the motor and check, as stated watch before and after TDC, shoot for .100" exhaust and .080 intake
Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ralph
If you're that close, i suggest you set it up with the valve train that will be run and check it by tightening the rocker nut at 5-10 degrees before and after TDC for exhaust and intake respectively. Reher Morrision's website has detailed instructions to check it. Assuming your radial clearance and valve angles are correct, you shouldn't have to remove the head.

On a recent engine, i had zero p to v clearance with the soft springs, but it cleared with the springs that were to be run and had no issues after 2 seasons.
Ralph....David Reher has a TON of good info on his site....and if anyone ever gets the chance go to their engine building school. Best couple days ever spent.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve to piston clearance

Quick Reply: Valve to piston clearance