Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

71 Coupe Show or NCRS...Value

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Romak
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 Coupe Show or NCRS...Value

My son and I are doing a frame off 71 coupe, 350/270, A/C, 4 speed. What is the difference in value if it is done to show quality vs NCRS quality? It is Nevada Silver w/ Blue interior. We have completely stripped the frame, and we are doing a total rebuild from bottom to top. I definitely intend to keep it original as it is a matching numbers car. The carb, starter, master cylinder, alternator and fuel pump has been replaced previously but other than that it is original. I just did not know if it is worth the expense to do all the chassis markings, replace the above items with correct replacements, getting all the bolts replated, correct hoses, belts, etc.

Please advise...we are at the point of having to decide.

Thanks,
Roger

Last edited by Romak; 05-29-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:50 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roger,

First of all, that color combination is pretty rare and a great one to have!
Usually the cost of restoration is pretty high, and most would opt for the rarest, most desireable optioned car to start with. I don't think the value difference between NCRS and show car would be that significant in your particular car. If it was an LS-6 or ZR-1 LT-1 version DEFINITELY.

The costs for those incorrect items is going to be fairly significant, and just don't warrant it for increased value on this model.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Just my .02, but if she's matching numbers now and otherwise correct, I'd keep her that way.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 AM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a very similar car. The carb and alternator will be quite tough to find, but the rest of the parts are easy to acquire.

I don't think it will cost you that much more to do it "right" than to do it any other way. You'll have to make dollar-versus-points decisions along the way, but no one will ever degrade your car for being correct. In addition, you'll never then say "I wish we had..."

That is an unusual and beautiful color combination, too.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It requires more knowledge, skill and effort (and possibly cash) to do a good NCRS restoration but the rewards (and awards), the cars value and the sense of accomplishment are greater too. A show quality restoration is wide open to interpretation but generally it means the restorer is not recognizing any particular set of standards and the result is usually a car that is over restored to a condition GM never built. Show quality is appealing to many because they will be driven anyway and over restoring is easier for the novice to do than authentic restoration. A person's first restoration attempt is usually one of over restoring. It takes experience to do an authentic restoration which is why the shops who have built up the good reputations doing this are usually backed up with long waiting lists.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it is a base engine model its value is somewhat limited to begin with but it would be worth more as an NCRS restoration.

Now if you really want to make it valuable convert it to a big block, restamp the engine, fake the documentation and take the wheel barrow to the bank.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

That is a very rare color combo,i would restore it to factory..

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Coupe Show or NCRS...Value

Quick Reply: 71 Coupe Show or NCRS...Value