Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

how to make center console plastic repaint look good

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default how to make center console plastic repaint look good

87' coupe I bought in pieces and finished with the engine and I'm just about to finish the exterior to the point where money starts comming into play. I want to start with interior now. all the plastic the surrounds my vents and shifter has scratches and seems like blobs of paint here and there. If I take it out and sand it with like 1000grit sand paper get it really smooth what type of paint should I use. I have a gun that should be sufficient but will a spray can do the job just as well? Or will repaint just make it look even worse? I have no money to spend. I'm flat broke so I'm looking for stuff that just takes time to do (like the 20 hours buffing my rims I just finished).
Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Good stuff, off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Semi-flat black. Quality of the outcome will depend on your expertise with a rattle can, but I'm willing to bet you can get good results without having to have an engineering degree.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior paint

I am using SEM # 15243 Satin Black on all of my plastic Trim Pieces, A-Pillar, Halo, etc. I haven't yet gotten to the console pieces. I am prepping by washing the parts in liquid dish soap an water and scrubbing them down with a relatively soft brush. After drying, I clean the part with PPG Acryli-Clean DX-330 wiping the cleaner in a single direction with a paper towel, rinse and watch the water - if it sheets off the part, you have gotten all the silicone/waxes off the part. If not, repeat the DX-330 wipe and rinse. Once dry, I prep the plastic with Bulldog Adhesion promoter - found it at the local auto paint store - according to the instructions on the can. After a couple of coats of that, I follow with the SEM paint - three light to medium wet coats seems to do it. They look factory fresh. For a more dull finish, use SEM Trim Black No. 39143.

Also see the article on Interior refinish at

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/r...etty_rough.htm

That batee.com site has lots of good information.

Good Luck. I'm close to reassembly on my interior. 87 Coupe

Last edited by c4sailor; 05-26-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

SEM is good stuff.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have found that the spray nozzels on the Dupli-Color cans is MUCH better than the nozzels on the Krylon can. While Krylon is good paint, the spray pattern that you get from the Dupli-Color cans come out with a better finish.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If they are plastic parts, you should use vinyl dye. Paint is a coating that can chip off later; vinyl dye bonds with the plastic...and it doesn't fill up any grain or surface texture. Since what you are wanting to paint gets some surface wear & tear, I would highly recommend you use dye instead of paint.

Get notified of new replies

To how to make center console plastic repaint look good

Quick Reply: how to make center console plastic repaint look good