Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Parking in Downtown Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Parking in Downtown Chicago

Hey everyone. The wife and I are heading up to Chicago for the Air & Water show. We will be staying on the Magnificent Mile fairly close to Wacker.

We are debating on driving the C7 up from Indy or just bring the Scion. There is a garage right around the corner from our hotel that we normally stay at. It is unattended.

Do I have anything to worry about bringing the C7? We've never felt unsafe at all in the garage with the Scion. Just didn't know if the C7 would attract unneeded attention or if, in Chicago, a C7 really isn't all that exciting.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

if its that much pressure on you leave it home under a cover, not much enjoyment in leaving it home but it sounds like you'll be checking on your car more then watching the show...
Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stroker87
if its that much pressure on you leave it home under a cover, not much enjoyment in leaving it home but it sounds like you'll be checking on your car more then watching the show...
I know I know... I should stop worrying and just enjoy it. I just don't want to invite any issues.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I would drive the Scion.
Hmmm, well that didn't help.

I think I would feel more at ease in a garage that is enclosed, has a closed door that no one can freely just walk in, and has a valet that parks it for you. More than theft, I'm just worried about someone's 5 year old kid throwing their door open into my car with their Suburban.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
Hmmm, well that didn't help.

I think I would feel more at ease in a garage that is enclosed, has a closed door that no one can freely just walk in, and has a valet that parks it for you. More than theft, I'm just worried about someone's 5 year old kid throwing their door open into my car with their Suburban.
I get what your saying but you'll never really enjoy it like that, I drive mine daily unless I need to carry something that won't fit or tow something, God forbid something happens ill just get it fix😀

With that said I am picky where I park and who next to though

Either way hope you enjoy the show it's fun and some times amazing
Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stroker87
I get what your saying but you'll never really enjoy it like that, I drive mine daily unless I need to carry something that won't fit or tow something, God forbid something happens ill just get it fix��

With that said I am picky where I park and who next to though

Either way hope you enjoy the show it's fun and some times amazing
Yeah, we ended up going last year and it was a blast. We flew ourselves from Indy to Gary and then took the Southshore into town. The Blue Angels were at Gary and the control tower had them wait until we landed. I think they burnt more fuel waiting than we did the entire flight.

Here is us, after landing, waiting on the taxiway for them to take off:

Anyway, I ended up booking a garage off of Michigan that has a 24 hour attendant, valet, and a closed garage. We bought the car to have fun with and it would be stupid not to drive it.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

We bought the car to have fun with and it would be stupid not to drive it.
That better!
Old 08-11-2015, 02:54 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I travel to downtown Chicago quite often - and I've used public parking garages for years. I've never had any issues with any of my cars, including my Vette. You're best off parking in one of the newer garages because their ramps are much better designed, and easy to negotiate the turns. From a safety & vandalism standpoint, I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm more concerned about parking it outside, where there a infinitely more people walking buy it.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I travel to downtown Chicago quite often - and I've used public parking garages for years. I've never had any issues with any of my cars, including my Vette. You're best off parking in one of the newer garages because their ramps are much better designed, and easy to negotiate the turns. From a safety & vandalism standpoint, I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm more concerned about parking it outside, where there a infinitely more people walking buy it.
Thanks for the advice! We actually found an enclosed garage that is attended 24hr/day right off of Michigan for a decent price. About 1/2mi from our hotel.

The attendant parks the car. But, I guess if anything happens, its on them.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 AM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Now I have to figure out the best way to get up there from Indy since a large chunk of I-65N is closed.

I was debating on taking US31, then west on US30 to catch I65N by Merriville. Others have been saying take I75 to I57.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 AM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Now I have to figure out the best way to get up there from Indy since a large chunk of I-65N is closed.

I was debating on taking US31, then west on US30 to catch I65N by Merriville. Others have been saying take I75 to I57.

Any suggestions?
I make the run from Chicago to Columbus, Indiana for work several times a year. I'm not sure where 65 is closed right now, but if you can get to Lafayette, I've jumped off there and used Route 52 to Route 41 to get to I-80. Other than the stop lights in Lafayette and St. John through Hammond it is a pretty nice country drive. I haven't done it this year, but in years past, I wouldn't have been afraid to take the Vette on that run. IIRC, the roads are pretty nice.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,009 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

At the risk of being though of as stupid…

http://pws.trafficwise.org/pws/

http://indot.carsprogram.org/#roadRe...gs,trafficWise

http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/gai.htm?mt=cons

Get notified of new replies

To Parking in Downtown Chicago

Quick Reply: Parking in Downtown Chicago