CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 AM
fjg96
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
the 67 looked great, I enjoyed talking to your Dad, I know he really enjoyed being there, you're a good son and that's a great memory you'll both have the rest of your lives.
vt65 thank you for taking the time to stop and chat. He was thrilled to have the opportunity to participate and be part of the event.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 AM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racelance
Many thanks for your kind words regarding Corvettes at Carlisle and our team. We do our best year in and year out and will continue to do so.

Yes, we blew it for the Gordan Killebrew seminar, we were informed late in the game that they were unable to make it. With this said we should have updated our website and made an announcement, however it was an oversight and for that I apologize. We do our very best, but during the event we've got a lot of moving parts and things tend to get a little crazy as you can imagine

Thanks for your understanding! We learn from our mishaps, thank you for bringing it to our attention. By the way, I spoke to Rebecca, she let me know a few people contacted her about this - thanks for letting us know.

Sincerely,

Lance
Lance:
Thanks for the phone call this morning. It was a real pleasure to speak with you and as I stated, apology accepted but not necessary. You and your team @ Carlisle are great and I am sure your task is like a "one armed paper hanger". To take the time to call is remarkable and as I stated I would post on CF your follow thru regarding the seminar cancel and how it should have been handled shows real character. As stated before, the Carlisle Team are a class act and I will forward a check to the Miller Foundation in my appreciation of our discussion. My best to all the staff, including Rebecca and look forward to seeing you next year @ CAC.
Warm Regards,
Mark
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fjg96
Special thanks to Lance and Jodi for helping me scratch one off my father's bucket list. My dad's 1967 was part of Chip's Choice. We made the journey from CA and the entire staff went out of their way to welcome us and make us feel like we were part of the Carlisle family.
Nice looking car! I had the red '69 a few cars down from you. Being in Chip's Choice has to be the coolest thing I've ever been a part of. They really do a great job making you feel special.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:58 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rock & Roll Girl
The parade was really fantastic this year! It is always fun but it seemed like the attendance was even bigger this year. The spectators were so friendly and appreciative. Even though I walk the showgrounds to look at the cars, I enjoy it even more at the parade. I couldn't believe how crowded the streets were this year. Thanks go out to those who direct the cars and to the Carlisle police for watching out for everyone.
The band this year was fantastic and they really got the people hanging out there rockin' and singing along.
Thanks to the merchants who stayed open late and to the local eateries for hosting us.
I always have a hard time believing that someone would come to CAC and then not participate in the parade. It is simply, a must! 😎😎
I haven't been in the parade in quite a few years. I enjoy watching it just as much as being in it. Also, some of the spectators take things a little too far in "requesting" burnouts and their responses when you don't do a burnout. But with all of that said, I still almost signed up this year and probably will next year. My kids are just starting to get old enough for me to take them in the parade with me.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Nice Day At Carlisle

Lance
I had a great time at this event on Friday. I met so many folks I knew.
For those concerned about the weather, it rained for 10 minutes the entire day !

I do want to just mention that many of us were looking for the bleachers that disappeared and ended up in the Corvette Mechanic's tent. Hopefully it can be done differently next year; as folks were looking for a place to sit down and relax !

Until next year

Dave
Old 08-26-2014, 12:36 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dave1998
Lance
I had a great time at this event on Friday. I met so many folks I knew.
For those concerned about the weather, it rained for 10 minutes the entire day !

I do want to just mention that many of us were looking for the bleachers that disappeared and ended up in the Corvette Mechanic's tent. Hopefully it can be done differently next year; as folks were looking for a place to sit down and relax !

Until next year

Dave
I agree. In the past, having a place to sit in the shade and in a place you felt like you weren't missing anything, was great.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tdogg21
I agree. In the past, having a place to sit in the shade and in a place you felt like you weren't missing anything, was great.
Ummm, you mean like the grandstand?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

My dad and I had a great time hanging out and meeting a few folks. We were parked in the Grand Sport Registry area (2010 Grand Sport, Crystal Red Metallic). I met a couple of folks that were from Reading, PA that was super cool, but sorry, cant remember your names. I had really hoped to get over to the CorvetteForum group photo, but we had an appointment to have a rear spoiler installed about then. The parade was awesome too....not gonna be able to make it next year, but will CERTAINLY come back again sometime.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for all of your feedback and compliments all! The event was a success even with the rain. We placed our order early for nicer weather in 2015!

Cheers,

Lance
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

In spite of the rain, we went down for our 31st year at CAC. We were hemming and hawing about taking the vette, but more than glad we did.
What the heck is CAC without driving your vette to the event?

We met a very nice couple from Ohio at our hotel, who we have made tentative plans to meet in Myrtle Beach in the spring.

AND we met a real nice couple from Syracuse NY, whose encounter with Carlisle is detailed in another thread in this section.
It was their first CAC, and I'm quite sure they'll be back next year, in spite of what happened to them.

We enjoyed everything this year, especially the tech sessions run by Paul Koerner.

Great job Lance, as usual, and all involved.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:40 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The C5 session by Paul was great and very informative. Helped me out with a problem on my own car. Glad I didn't miss it.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Czarvette
Ummm, you mean like the grandstand?
ummm.....or somewhere else, like at the crossroads under the trees like in years past.

Not saying it's necessary or needed, just saying it was a nice quiet place to sit and watch the cars and rest. Sure the grandstands work, but sometimes it's not as convenient or easy as the picnic benches and later, bleachers, were.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

My first trip to CAC. While the weather was a bummer I still had a great time with my son. I did forget the forum picture. Oops. Awesome display of amazing cars. Really like the new Z.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 AM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

RE: The Weather...

After having a few days to think about it...
I almost think I'd prefer the weather we had (well, dial back the downpours a little) to the usual 90 degrees and flesh searing sunshine.
There is usually a late afternoon thunderstorm anyway. So, cleaning the car for the 3rd or 4th time wasn't all that unusual.
Over cast and mid 70s made for some really pleasant strolling around the grounds.

And the occasional shower gave you time to visit with 'strangers' under the random canopy or pop-up...

And not for nothing, but I think I rocked my Mickey Mouse rain poncho!

BTW - did I mention - I had a great time!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tdogg21
ummm.....or somewhere else, like at the crossroads under the trees like in years past.

Not saying it's necessary or needed, just saying it was a nice quiet place to sit and watch the cars and rest. Sure the grandstands work, but sometimes it's not as convenient or easy as the picnic benches and later, bleachers, were.
Thank you for making the point that I tried to do

Certainly a breeze under the trees watching the cars is superior to the bleachers with no breeze and no cars going buy.

Until 2015 !

Dave
Old 08-29-2014, 12:06 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Still the best Corvette gathering in the world!!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Lance,

Great show this year...I was there all day on Friday.
In an earlier post you mentioned about doing another flag out of corvettes for 2015.
I was in the two earlier ones....Is there an early signup for that yet?

Thanks,
Shawn S

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

The "official" Corvette Forum photo from Corvettes at Carlisle 2014:

From left to right:
- guy with black shirt and baseball cap: unknown and his two daughters
- guy with red shirt: unknown
- VT65 (light blue polo shirt)
- Burnt71 (Carlisle t-shirt)
- 82Fuelie (green t-shirt)
- guy with black jacket (unknown)
- Rock & Roll Girl (gray sweater)
- Czarvette (Corvette Hawaiian shirt)
- GRipp73 (white t-shirt)
- MarkRubyRed (blue athletic shirt with yellow lanyard)

Guy in the Black jacket (unknown)...

That's me!! ~stingray reporting in for duty!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 AM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

This is the skinny my wife heard from an NCM representative: GM is not yet licensing images of the C7 car itself, only the C7 flags and C7 Stingray (fish) emblem. As to why, they don't know.

If you noticed, NOBODY has t-shirts or any other tchotchkes with C7 cars on them yet, despite the car being publicly shown over 18 months ago.
I was on the National Corvette Museum website today and they have a C7 tee shirt with the car on it. If GM is holding back I don't know why, it's free advertising.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

I can't say I liked the way everything was set up this year, but then again, it might have been good in the whole scheme of things. I just have to get used to it. And it would be great if Subway was open on Thursdays as well.
One thing I couldn't find that was easily found in past years was the silent auction for the Chip Miller Foundation. Fortunately, we did find the tent where I could make a donation and the wife got a chance to talk with Ella for a bit. Now I get to hang up my "SAVTHEWAV" license plate in the garage.

Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014