Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

What do you like about the Carlisle show?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Default What do you like about the Carlisle show?

I'm trying to decide if I should go.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I have to agree with jeffjob, and add it's the people who make Carlisle what it is for me, and we've been going since the early '80s. There are people that we don't see, but for the days spent there each August. Sure the cars are great, the vendors, food especially the Stolfusz (sp.?) breakfast sandwiches, the Miller family..... can't wait!

I suggest if you've never been... to try it and report back here.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

I tell all Corvette people that they have to go to Corvettes at Carlisle at least once in their life!! There is everything Corvette-related there. If you want something and can't find it at Carlisle, then it doesn't exist!

Sure, it is a guarantee that it will be hot, humid, dusty, precipitation of some kind, no air conditioning on the field except in your Corvette...and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

The people we have met there over the years and the friends we meet while there every year are what it's all about for us. Go at least once!!

This is year #15 for Hubby and me to attend Corvettes at Carlisle, and we can't wait!

Elaine

P.S. And DRIVE your Corvette there!! It is a totally different experience than if you bring your regular vehicle.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Since you asked I will give you my opinion which is different than the others here. I went last Summer and I don't think I'd go again. I drove there in my car, got there at 9 am, walked the vendor area, then the flea market area then the inside show area, then the used car market and finally the show parking area. After awhile it was just another Corvette. Sure there was plenty to see but after awhile they all looked the same. Prices for aftermarket things were good so if you're looking to buy stuff and get some things installed it's a decent place to go. I can see those who go year after year and stay there for the 2-3 days meet friends there and have a great time, that was obvious but for a person just going to a show, not worth the 2.5 hour drive for me. I was out of there by 1 pm and headed to Hershey to kill the rest of the day that I thought I'd spend there. I feel it's a very social gathering once a year for friends who only see each other once a year and I can appreciate that, if you're going to a Corvette show it's fun but I didn't get what the others see in it.

Just my .02 but you need to see it in order to decide for yourself in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I love everything about the show. And as stated above, if you got there at 9am and left by1pm, there is no way you saw everything.

Something for everyone. What are you looking for?
NCRS displays, racing displays, car show, Chips Choice Display, every type of vendor you can imagine.
And yes the people are great.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,557 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The people, the cars and the vendors. If you like Corvettes, it's a must. It's a 1,000 mile round trip for me but I enjoy it all. Best 3 days of the year. I've gone every year since 1985
Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Since you asked I will give you my opinion which is different than the others here. I went last Summer and I don't think I'd go again. I drove there in my car, got there at 9 am, walked the vendor area, then the flea market area then the inside show area, then the used car market and finally the show parking area. After awhile it was just another Corvette. Sure there was plenty to see but after awhile they all looked the same. Prices for aftermarket things were good so if you're looking to buy stuff and get some things installed it's a decent place to go. I can see those who go year after year and stay there for the 2-3 days meet friends there and have a great time, that was obvious but for a person just going to a show, not worth the 2.5 hour drive for me. I was out of there by 1 pm and headed to Hershey to kill the rest of the day that I thought I'd spend there. I feel it's a very social gathering once a year for friends who only see each other once a year and I can appreciate that, if you're going to a Corvette show it's fun but I didn't get what the others see in it.

Just my .02 but you need to see it in order to decide for yourself in my opinion.
Unless you were running or jogging, it seems near impossible to cover the length and breadth of Carlisle in less than 4 hours.
Perhaps you forgot your wallet that day, in which case much likely would not interest you.
Show? Yes, there are cars there from all over the country, ones you don't see at the cars and coffee at your local Starbucks.
I have gone for over 20 years, and while I go with 1 or 2 friends, and see quite a few there, it's the CARS, the parts, and simply a day spent away from all else, to spend some quality time with my favorite hobby and hobbyists.
I meet Forum members from far away places, who I may have chatted with for years here, but never had the pleasure of meeting them til Carlisle.
I have met ICONS of the Corvette world there, and talked with them like they were another car owner.
I see cars painted with latex paint and a brush, all the way to the rarest L-88, and experimental cars that you just do not see anywhere else.

Rarely do I come home without dozens of things that I am happy that I found while there, from an ultra rare ZR-1 part thta I likely will never need to even a cheap a** phone charger.

Hershey over Carlisle?
I cannot even fathom a response.
O KAYYYYY.
At least maybe you enjoyed the ride on what usually is a hot summer day.

Why not take a friend, and give it another try, but no track shoes this time, walk around and really find look at and find some things and experience what you likely cannot find anywhere else.
I hope you waved to each and every Vette you passed.
Some of my best memories of Carlisle are from taking someone there for the first time, and seeing them experience it.
Hope you give it another chance.
See you there!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Last year I drove a Katech 2009 Z06 track prepped car out to PA from the NYC burbs, I liked that. (for display at the Katech trailer)

Working with the ARH crew, 5 years now.

Steve
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

LOL, Such passion..... Nothing wrong with that. As for my wallet, I did bring it, I planned on spending money but the things I wanted weren't there. At this point I don't remember what they were but I did ask some vendors and they said they could order the items for me, oh well. I did bring a friend, we had a good time but I'm not the type to approach people and just start talking, I'm a bit shy so just walking through was easy. Yes, I did walk every isle of the place and walked through the used cars and in every building. I just walk and scan, if my scanner picks up on something that interests me I stop, if not I continue on. I can see if you have a group of friends who you meet up with and make it a social gathering it can be a great time. If you're going there, knowing nobody, kinda shy, you can do it very quickly.

I spent many years from late 80's to the early 2000's on the show truck scene, I know what going to shows like these are about, been there, done that and without a group of friends it can get old quick.

Again, just my .02, obviously I'm not the majority because the show is huge and people come from all over to see it, I just gave my opinion of my time spent there.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by zipity
I love everything about the show. And as stated above, if you got there at 9am and left by1pm, there is no way you saw everything.

Something for everyone. What are you looking for?
NCRS displays, racing displays, car show, Chips Choice Display, every type of vendor you can imagine.
And yes the people are great.
Based on the attendance every year and the favorable feedback from so many I would say Zipity's review is the rare exception. If on my first visit years ago I did a walk around for four hours in the areas referenced by Zipity I would pretty much need to be continuously walking and not making any stops to talk (or just listen) to anyone. Getting out in four hours would also eliminate taking the time to really look at some of the exceptional and rare Corvettes that I've never had the opportunity to see at any local shows. No time for talking face to face with vendors about their products, etc. Also the best part is taking the time to socialize and make new friends isn't happening in four hours. Hey, it's not for everyone.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM
BigT2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Last year my wife and I went for the first time. We spent two full days there, we walked around for a while took a break and walked around some more over the two days. I don't think we saw everything there was to see. We even went through some areas twice and saw things on the second trip we didn't notice the first trip. The couple of things I wanted to get were no problem finding. The things you need to spend a day there are cash, shade, cash, a chair, cash and a cooler full of water to drink or whatever your preferred beverage is. I have everything set for this year and we are going to leave even earlier to go there this year. My wife and I are both looking forward to going.

T
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
The people, the cars and the vendors. If you like Corvettes, it's a must. It's a 1,000 mile round trip for me but I enjoy it all. Best 3 days of the year. I've gone every year since 1985
Paul, I met you last year on Thursday parked just down from me in the NCRS area. I had then a 2000 torch red c5,Will look for you again this year,same place,same time. This time I will be bringing my 06 Victory Red c6 coupe that i just moved up to. (like new with only 7500 miles) Ken

(btw 10th year for me)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:19 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Only missed 2 shows since C@C started.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

The first time we went, we had no idea what it was other than a big Corvette show. So we did the general Corvette parking over the hill. I can still remember walking to the top of the hill overlooking the showfield and when we got there .................... it was a SEA of Corvettes. Everywhere you looked there were Vettes! We walked and walked and walked till we couldn't walk any more and when we left we were sunburned and tired, but elated. We vowed to try the Funfield the next year.
We did. And every year since. We go on Thursday and stay till Saturday night. We are on our third pop up canopy (had to buy a small one for this year since we have a vert now and the big ones don't fit) and that is an absolute must to have. And probably our 5th set of chairs! We get there at 6 a.m. each day, have breakfast, watch the sunrise and all the cars coming in, wipe the dew off the car and just relax. Some days it has been hotter than Hades, others we've needed jackets, and some days it has rained so hard we needed umbrellas underneath the canopy!
We always discover new things, try a seminar, listen to the guest speakers, walk up the hill to check out the NCCC cars, check out all the vendors, always meet someone we haven't seen since the last year. It's like a brotherhood. Like Christmas with the family. It's an experience. Winning a celeb pick is always nice, but win or not doesn't really matter. It's spending time with people who are as passionate about one kind of car as I am.
There are other Corvette shows, but there's only one Carlisle. And for as long as God will let me, I'll keep on going.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by USA1 427
The first time we went, we had no idea what it was other than a big Corvette show. So we did the general Corvette parking over the hill. I can still remember walking to the top of the hill overlooking the showfield and when we got there .................... it was a SEA of Corvettes. Everywhere you looked there were Vettes! We walked and walked and walked till we couldn't walk any more and when we left we were sunburned and tired, but elated. We vowed to try the Funfield the next year.
We did. And every year since. We go on Thursday and stay till Saturday night. We are on our third pop up canopy (had to buy a small one for this year since we have a vert now and the big ones don't fit) and that is an absolute must to have. And probably our 5th set of chairs! We get there at 6 a.m. each day, have breakfast, watch the sunrise and all the cars coming in, wipe the dew off the car and just relax. Some days it has been hotter than Hades, others we've needed jackets, and some days it has rained so hard we needed umbrellas underneath the canopy!
We always discover new things, try a seminar, listen to the guest speakers, walk up the hill to check out the NCCC cars, check out all the vendors, always meet someone we haven't seen since the last year. It's like a brotherhood. Like Christmas with the family. It's an experience. Winning a celeb pick is always nice, but win or not doesn't really matter. It's spending time with people who are as passionate about one kind of car as I am.
There are other Corvette shows, but there's only one Carlisle. And for as long as God will let me, I'll keep on going.
Couldnt put it any better!!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hdkeno

Couldnt put it any better!!
I agree! Perfect description of our beloved Corvettes at Carlisle!

Elaine

Get notified of new replies

To What do you like about the Carlisle show?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,557 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by hdkeno
Paul, I met you last year on Thursday parked just down from me in the NCRS area. I had then a 2000 torch red c5,Will look for you again this year,same place,same time. This time I will be bringing my 06 Victory Red c6 coupe that i just moved up to. (like new with only 7500 miles) Ken

(btw 10th year for me)
Hi Ken,

Yes, I remember meeting you last year. I will look forward to seeing you again this year. I will be in the same Red C6 Z06. I like to set up Thursday afternoon in that front row inside gate 3 and watch the cars drive in.

See you there

Paul
Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by capevettes
Hi Ken,

Yes, I remember meeting you last year. I will look forward to seeing you again this year. I will be in the same Red C6 Z06. I like to set up Thursday afternoon in that front row inside gate 3 and watch the cars drive in.

See you there

Paul
Plus Thursday is a grest day to look around and get a early jump on the events. Im on a mission this year though, going to the corsa booth, and have an exhaust put on. (Most likely sports). My 06 is just way too quiet with the stock setup. See you then...Ken
Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I live nearby., so I go every year.
Here is one way to make it fun. Before you go, decide on 1 thing you want to buy for your car at the show.

Remember the fun is in the hunt.

Now, once you found it, cover the rest of the show, looking around for that same item. this will take time, but in the end you will ssen the entire show and will know who has the best price.

And they do have some great food there as well

Dave

Quick Reply: What do you like about the Carlisle show?