Northern California Northern California

Have any Crescent City travel tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:56 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Default Have any Crescent City travel tips?

I posted this in C5 General but maybe the NorCal regional section will get better responses?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...avel-tips.html

Thanks for looking...
Old 05-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvann
I posted this in C5 General but maybe the NorCal regional section will get better responses?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...avel-tips.html

Thanks for looking...
You might consider taking Highway 199 down the Smith River corridor from the Oregon border to Crescent City. There is a fun day use area where the two forks of the river come together, Forks River Access and Boat Ramp (https://goo.gl/maps/3hU2NLv5Em22). Or you can stop at any of the pull outs on the highway along the gorge and have fun in the river; swim, float tube and eat blackberries. Highway 199 can be fun, as long as you don't get behind too many motorhomes.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:08 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Zinn
You might consider taking Highway 199 down the Smith River corridor from the Oregon border to Crescent City. There is a fun day use area where the two forks of the river come together, Forks River Access and Boat Ramp (https://goo.gl/maps/3hU2NLv5Em22). Or you can stop at any of the pull outs on the highway along the gorge and have fun in the river; swim, float tube and eat blackberries. Highway 199 can be fun, as long as you don't get behind too many motorhomes.
Thanks for the tip...I was wondering if that was a Vette friendly route.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvann
Thanks for the tip...I was wondering if that was a Vette friendly route.
It is a California highway, so I would say keep a sharp lookout for potholes that will swallow your tire. Our highways are some of the worst in the nation.

You might consider stopping by Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park on Highway 199. The redwoods are huge there and it lies right at the afternoon fog line, which makes for a nice sunny and cool day trip.

If you decide to travel south of Crescent City on Highway 101, Redwood National Park is a pretty neat stop too. The coastline drive along Highway 101 between its intersection with Highways 199 and 299 is also pretty stunning.

You might look at the map for State Highway 299 too. It has a lot of twisties between Highway 101 and I-5 and follows the Trinity River for quite a stretch. More opportunities for jumping in the river, floating and eating blackberries.

Highway 299 east of I-5 is less twisty, but does traverse some neat territory across the Cascades and Modoc Plateau. You could take a slight southerly detour to Lassen National Park which is car friendly and should be cleared of snow by July. Highway 299 ostensibly terminates at Highway 395, near Goose Lake and where California, Oregon and Nevada come together.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:33 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Posted in your other post

Get notified of new replies

To Have any Crescent City travel tips?

Quick Reply: Have any Crescent City travel tips?