Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Any AMC owners out there??? Lets see what you got.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
jackdk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any AMC owners out there??? Lets see what you got.

I know there has to be some AMC owners on this list. I bought my 69 Javelin in Nov. of 69 for $2475.00 brand new. They had it that long because nobody wanted that color. So I got a good deal on it, even though the color made me sick also. That 343 4v 4sp Javelin burned rubber all first gear out the dealership lot in Prospect Park, NJ. I couldn't afford a new AMX for about $4 grand, or a 69 Corvette for maybe $6 grand or better. Plus, I looked at Ford Torino Cobras, Firebird 350 HO, but dear old dad said I would kill myself. He said the little Rambler Javelin would be fine. Here is my 69 Javelin, still in the family after close to 40 years. The color??? One of the most sought-after colors AMC made, and it did grow on me.
Let see what other AMC's are out there!!! Show your pictures.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow...

No love for the Javelins here huh.

Well, I have been lookin for one. If the price is right, you never know. Kind of a sleeper muscle car that is still pretty cheap for what you get, all things considered.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I've always liked Javelins when I was in my teens. They were the underdog but did have enough designer talent to come up with the Javelin. The downside may be part scarcity, however.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

The downside maybe part scarcity... but as apposed to Vettes, they won't cost an arm and a leg when you find em'!

Looks like you can get some nice driver cars for $7-10K, which is kind of a breath of fresh air after restoring my 67.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The question is: Where do you find the parts? With Corvettes and Camaros, there are many sources.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:09 AM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any pics of it, but my first car in high school was a 77' AMC Hornet with a 3 speed on the floor. 231ci in-line 6.

That car took a beating. Lots of jumping whoopty doos along the rail-road tracks and even some light dune off-roading. Then of course donuts in the parking lots on the ice/snow in the winter.

The topper though was that sometimes the throttle would stick open and I would have to turn the car off and on again to unstick it. Well those cars had a safety switch next to the key cylinder that you had to push to turn the key in the off position so the steering wheel wouldn't lock.

Well, I got in the habit of automatically pushing it anyways, and I so happen to have the throttle stick on me one day on the road and instinctively turned the key off (with the button pushed of course), locked the steering wheel while driving and swerved into the next lane and in front of a cop car.

Luckily I didn't get a ticket, but he was a little upset.

Ah the adventures of high school.

Thanks for trip down memory lane.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:48 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...6_amc_pacer_x/

This is my good friends.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

When I was about 12 Years Old, I got hit by a Pacer while Christmas Caroling. I think any other car would have killed me, but that Pacer was so low, it kind of "scouped" me up.
I hit the windshield and rolled off into the gutter.
Broken arm, chipped tooth, and lots of bruises.

Don't know whether to love em' or hate em'.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 AM
jmagilto
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a plum crazy 71 SST with a 304/auto. It was my first car in 1982.
In college I painted it blue. Sold it to an air force recruiter that worked in the retail space next to me in late eighties...
I have a standing search on FleaBay for the 'just right' nostalgia purchase.....
Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

I've always liked Javelin / AMX's. When I was a teenager an older friend had a '69 AMX with a 390 and 4 speed. It was a fast car.

Saw this one at a car show a while back and took a bunch of photos but my computer crashed and I lost them (found this photo on the internet). It was set up for road racing which the owner did on a regular basis.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Any AMC owners out there??? Lets see what you got.

Quick Reply: Any AMC owners out there??? Lets see what you got.