Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Have opportunity to get a Hellcat at MSRP, should I get it or wait for Z06 under MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by titletaker
Funny, the wife says the same thing....she actually just said why not just keep the ZR1 and buy the Hellcat. If I had known that was an option, I wouldn't have posted. My casual sales pitch to her was I want a car we can all(us and our two girls) go on road trips in; we have a 68 Camaro, but its way too nice to take on longer trips. We only take it to local car shows and thats about it.
Pete,

There you go man your wife just answered your question for you and solved your problem.

You probably know I have daily driven (all winters included) my First Edition (2008 Challenger SRT8 Hemi and it is a GREAT car that has been nothing but turn key reliable 4 years and 22,000 miles later. My 2009 limited edition Viper VOI coupe is a complete animal and also bullet proof reliable. In a couple of years I would like to trade in my 08 Challenger for a Hellcat and I would drive that year round also (with snow tires like I do with my 08 Chally). Its a $60,000 car that's fast as heck, and the most bad azz modern muscle car currently made. You will LOVE the hellcat and keeping your sweet C6 ZR1 along with your 1968 Camaro is a win, win.

Our supercar and muscle car stable is going to look real similar if you get the Hellcat as I just picked up a 1967 Camaro with a a 565 ci Dart Big Block making 780 HP on motor and over 1000 HP with the twin shot of N20 in the trunk. The car is a radical show and go machine I love it!!

Get the Hellcat and Keep the C6 ZR1 and you will be a happy camper. I know you are a drag racer and the Hellcat (especially with the auto tranny) is going to be a high 10 second machine all day long on drag radials and was made to drag race, all with its bumper to bumper warranty, and ability to drive across the country on vacation with your entire family (do it bro)!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-18-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:12 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think they'll limit Hellcat production and doubt a $60K+ non-viper will hold value. If I were Dodge I would sell as many as I could; they don't make money by selling less. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hellcat Charger ends up depreciating faster than the Challenger. That being said, every Hellcat review is positive. For non-trackers, the Z06 is way too much race car. Yes, 850HP... I mean 7007HP is also too much but your getting it for bragging, etc, not actual tracking.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
First time in my life...I am a mustang fan. Major improvement. I like the side fender vent better than the ZO6 side fender vent. Not that the ZO6 side vent is bad, but the big slab of black plastic doesn't do justice to one of the most iconic design elements of the corvette...and the base vette vent is worse. However, I still much prefer the ZO6 over this new mustang, but I would buy this GT350 before I buy the base vette...and I cannot believe I just said that!
I gotta see this GT350 then.....

Originally Posted by occar
I owned a dodge product for a year or so. A Challenger SRT to be exact. After all the random little issues I won't again. I can't imagine how anyone could be satisfied with that boat just because they threw another 230 hp at it. I can only assume people buying in to the hype haven't driven that platform before. That or they think straight line acceleration is all that matters (because that's all that car will have).
The 707 Hellcat Challenger handles well on the track. It went up against the Camaro (the hot one). The Camaro won in performance, but not by much.

Funny, the wife says the same thing....she actually just said why not just keep the ZR1 and buy the Hellcat. If I had known that was an option, I wouldn't have posted. My casual sales pitch to her was I want a car we can all(us and our two girls) go on road trips in; we have a 68 Camaro, but its way too nice to take on longer trips. We only take it to local car shows and thats about it.
I predict you'll love everything about the 707 Hellcat Challenger.

Originally Posted by Shurshot
With an early winter coming in for who knows how long you have time to decide without being pushed

The new flat crank GT350 announced today looks really nice. Personally I would give up a fair amount of FI power in exchange for a good NA motor that is supposed to rev to 8000 and make well over 500 HP.

More info should be available at its LA show launch next week

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/f...ficial-photos/
I gotta see the GT350.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
I agree Apples and Oranges, but because one is a 2 seat sports car and the other is a 4 seat muscle car, certainly not because the Corvette is in a much higher league. What makes it a much higher league?
If you have to ask then no need to even try to convince/explain it to you.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:59 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tg07
Why do you spend time reading C7Z threads? Seems like a huge waste of time if you hate the way the car looks.
100%. I don't get why guys troll in sections that they have no interest in?? I don't like a lot of things but don't go to their forums and start talking crap!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
100%. I don't get why guys troll in sections that they have no interest in?? I don't like a lot of things but don't go to their forums and start talking crap!
Because they want everybody to know why they are driving 6-8 year old cars they bought used and aren't interested in a C7 variant. It's an insecurity thing. Sort of like "take my ball and go home", except they don't really leave. This section is full of them, just like the C7 section was last year.
S.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I say buy Hellcat now and get Z06 later used after some depreciation.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:01 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I say buy Hellcat now and get Z06 later used after some depreciation.
Or, why not wait one year on the Hellcat and save $5,000 to $8,000 in depreciation versus buying brand new, not to mention always a prudent idea to stay away from a first year new build (model).
Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Or, why not wait one year on the Hellcat and save $5,000 to $8,000 in depreciation versus buying brand new, not to mention always a prudent idea to stay away from a first year new build (model).
I was under the impression that he's geared up to get one or the other pretty soon. That was why I put it that way. I also put no stock in that first year build nonsense. Where do people get that from anyways? Life too short and warranties are plenty.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 AM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I think the C6 Z looks like an ugly outdated half-melted bar of soap.

S.
hahahahaha HEY!!! I resemble that remark.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 AM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Pete,

There you go man your wife just answered your question for you and solved your problem.

You probably know I have daily driven (all winters included) my First Edition (2008 Challenger SRT8 Hemi and it is a GREAT car that has been nothing but turn key reliable 4 years and 22,000 miles later. My 2009 limited edition Viper VOI coupe is a complete animal and also bullet proof reliable. In a couple of years I would like to trade in my 08 Challenger for a Hellcat and I would drive that year round also (with snow tires like I do with my 08 Chally). Its a $60,000 car that's fast as heck, and the most bad azz modern muscle car currently made. You will LOVE the hellcat and keeping your sweet C6 ZR1 along with your 1968 Camaro is a win, win.

Our supercar and muscle car stable is going to look real similar if you get the Hellcat as I just picked up a 1967 Camaro with a a 565 ci Dart Big Block making 780 HP on motor and over 1000 HP with the twin shot of N20 in the trunk. The car is a radical show and go machine I love it!!

Get the Hellcat and Keep the C6 ZR1 and you will be a happy camper. I know you are a drag racer and the Hellcat (especially with the auto tranny) is going to be a high 10 second machine all day long on drag radials and was made to drag race, all with its bumper to bumper warranty, and ability to drive across the country on vacation with your entire family (do it bro)!
Jimmy,
You know me, I'm a straight-line quarter mile lover, so the track comparison really doesn't impact my decision making. I just never drive the ZR1 because I can only drive one kid at a time, so I can't even pick them up or drop them off at school in the ZR1. I just think it would be fun to pack up the family and head up to our place in Lake Geneva and do a few burnouts along the way Have a local Chevy dealer hot to sell me their remaining allocation due today on a Z06, which if I bought, I will trade the ZR1. Going to be a tough decision, but I'm leaning towards the Hellcat.
To all the guys saying it's apples to oranges....I am not saying the two are equal or on par with one another, just considering a change of pace and both cars are Super in their own ways.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Jimmy,
You know me, I'm a straight-line quarter mile lover, so the track comparison really doesn't impact my decision making. I just never drive the ZR1 because I can only drive one kid at a time, so I can't even pick them up or drop them off at school in the ZR1. I just think it would be fun to pack up the family and head up to our place in Lake Geneva and do a few burnouts along the way Have a local Chevy dealer hot to sell me their remaining allocation due today on a Z06, which if I bought, I will trade the ZR1. Going to be a tough decision, but I'm leaning towards the Hellcat.
To all the guys saying it's apples to oranges....I am not saying the two are equal or on par with one another, just considering a change of pace and both cars are Super in their own ways.

Nothing wrong with that bud it's all about what's good for you and family...besides with the Hellcat you can pack in the kids and wife and still give the Z06 fits in a straight line run....
Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Jimmy,
If you need more space and if finances permit, why not a M6 or CTS-V? These are apples and oranges as well and not as fast in a straight line but provide you a much more refined option.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:54 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

The 707 Hellcat Challenger handles well on the track. It went up against the Camaro (the hot one). The Camaro won in performance, but not by much.
Yeah, no. I can only assume you mean the motor trend comparison which did not include a single track session. The only thing the have is their figure 8, where the dodge lost by an embarrassing .7 seconds (a ton of time on the 20-25 second figure 8). Amusingly, the last GT500 beats the dodge on the same figure 8 by .5 seconds.

I'm going to have to assume you are trolling and nothing else. Feel free to prove me wrong by providing evidence of any real track testing with that car. The skidpad and figure 8 testing done by motortrend don't support your claim at all. I haven't seen or been able to find any actual lap times by the rather porky car.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Yeah, no. I can only assume you mean the motor trend comparison which did not include a single track session. The only thing the have is their figure 8, where the dodge lost by an embarrassing .7 seconds (a ton of time on the 20-25 second figure 8). Amusingly, the last GT500 beats the dodge on the same figure 8 by .5 seconds.

I'm going to have to assume you are trolling and nothing else. Feel free to prove me wrong by providing evidence of any real track testing with that car. The skidpad and figure 8 testing done by motortrend don't support your claim at all. I haven't seen or been able to find any actual lap times by the rather porky car.
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

To the OP: I predict you'll love everything about the 707 Hellcat Challenger.
I'm reporting what I saw in YouTube style indy testing online. If you don't like it that's too bad. The Challenger Hellcat 707 is a terrific, high-performance car, that does handle well on the track. You can't change that.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:15 PM
occar
Pro

So, in other words, you won't provide a reputable source (or any source for that matter), and we're supposed to trust you despite the only instrumented tests so far showing your claims are false?

Suuuuure. Ok.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

So, in other words, you won't provide a reputable source (or any source for that matter), and we're supposed to trust you despite the only instrumented tests so far showing your claims are false?

Suuuuure. Ok.
I read this a few weeks ago in this month's edition of NASA's Speed News:
Originally Posted by Speed News
Is the Hellcat the next great HPDE car? Probably not. If you get one, take it to the track once just for kicks. The car exhibited a good bit of understeer thanks to lots of liquid in the supercharger's proprietary cooling system forward of the radiator, and it's 4,400-plus pounds make their presence known in the corners. The only thing that makes the car feel light is the accelerator pedal.
After a few mag reviews and videos that were neutral, at best, regarding the Hellcat's handling, it was laughable that people here interpreted that for the car being a good handling, "composed" and "very, very quick" track car (especially relative to what's on the market these days).
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Have opportunity to get a Hellcat at MSRP, should I get it or wait for Z06 under MSRP

Old 11-18-2014, 04:44 PM
occar
Pro

What you have quoted is similar to what my experiences were with the SRT. I didn't track it though. I didn't really feel like it was a good idea to do so the way it handled.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 484 Posts

Have you given any thoughts to the Charger Hellcat as a more 'Family' oriented ride?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:10 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 567 Posts

Jimmy,
You sell me your ZR1, buy the Hellcat and everyone wins......lol. Pete I'm the guy who bought your wheels off your flooded ZO6. Man that's like 6 years ago. Frightening were time goes. Hope all is well.

Quick Reply: Have opportunity to get a Hellcat at MSRP, should I get it or wait for Z06 under MSRP