Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone want to see the Viper ACR pimp smack the Z06 like a street hoe...look here

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:12 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ck9887
What year vipers are you referring to ?
This is a VERY important question.

Also, Z06 Z07 vs ACR might as well be apples vs oranges. This should have been the TA 2.0's battle, not the ACR's. The ACR should puppy-kick the Z07...it's WAY more of a track rat than the Z07. I would have been seriously disappointed if it hadn't beaten the Corvette handily.

Why is NOBODY testing the TA 2.0?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou7787
My brother owned a C5. In fact he has owned all but the C1 and 2. And I have driven them all a number of times. The C5 seemed to me to be more GT car and the C7 more pure sports car. The C5 ride was a bit softer. More importantly I've driven two Vipers. And just a little of the noise and bone jarring ride goes a long way. When I spoke of refinement I meant things like ride quality but also fit and finish.

The Viper is a fine car and meant to be a second car not a daily driver. In that role it is excellent. But a track only comparison really is just part of an automobiles role.
You failed to mention what generation Vipers you've driven.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:00 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
Honestly, I'd be more impressed with the C7Z if the car could run without breaking. I expect the Viper to be faster but, I'd just love to see the Z make consistent laps like the Viper can.

-Alex
That's definitely a good point. I don't think anyone in the Corvette world expected the car to beat a fully aero package Viper, but if the Z06 could just handle itself with consistency I think that'd go a long way. I KNOW that there are guys who track these and don't have the first issue, but it's a pretty split opinion. We know for a fact the guys who track them most consistently (driving schools) say they overheat with absolute regularity.

I have to say, the C7Z just felt completely outclassed in this video. YES, it's the nicer street car...but GM didn't sell a nice street car, it sold "most capable track Corvette ever produced"...that's what they told everyone.

I see everyone talking about the comfort, the open air, the civility of it...it's like we should almost consider putting a Cadillac badge on this car soon and calling it a luxury performance car...a Mercedes benz competitor, not a Porsche competitor.

I'm trying not to turn hater on this C7...but MAN I'm not happy. Maybe I'm over critical...but I am still driving my C5Z for a reason. That car made sense...it was an enthusiast directed machine, they focused on reduced mass...it did the Z06 RPO some justice. This Z06...they just cashed in on the branding.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

^ I agree....C7z has been a huge dissappointment right off the bat. I wanted one...almost pulled the trigger but stepped back due to the lackluster performance and cooling issues. GM really needs to go back to the drawing board with this one.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:03 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
That's definitely a good point. I don't think anyone in the Corvette world expected the car to beat a fully aero package Viper, but if the Z06 could just handle itself with consistency I think that'd go a long way. I KNOW that there are guys who track these and don't have the first issue, but it's a pretty split opinion. We know for a fact the guys who track them most consistently (driving schools) say they overheat with absolute regularity.

I have to say, the C7Z just felt completely outclassed in this video. YES, it's the nicer street car...but GM didn't sell a nice street car, it sold "most capable track Corvette ever produced"...that's what they told everyone.

I see everyone talking about the comfort, the open air, the civility of it...it's like we should almost consider putting a Cadillac badge on this car soon and calling it a luxury performance car...a Mercedes benz competitor, not a Porsche competitor.

I'm trying not to turn hater on this C7...but MAN I'm not happy. Maybe I'm over critical...but I am still driving my C5Z for a reason. That car made sense...it was an enthusiast directed machine, they focused on reduced mass...it did the Z06 RPO some justice. This Z06...they just cashed in on the branding.
I think the Z06 for car guys is kind of a disappointment. Its really annoying the track problems the car has.

the fact is the masses is what brings in the paper. GM is a corporation and its their job to make money.

the Z06 is more geared for a street monster, rather than track monster. Where most people will drive their cars.

I agree as times goes i feel cars in general are getting worse from a enthusiast point of view. But its hard for me to drive outdated (styling wise) cars. Which is why at the end of the day I will probably continue to keep buying new stuff if i can afford it. I think the best case is to keep cars like your C5 while also buying new stuff. Gives you the sexy styling and new technology of the cars today, while being about to enjoy the good ole days with the old cars.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 01-12-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
^ I agree....C7z has been a huge dissappointment right off the bat. I wanted one...almost pulled the trigger but stepped back due to the lackluster performance and cooling issues. GM really needs to go back to the drawing board with this one.

haha...hasn't been a disappointment to GM nor the actual owners!

As for the dead Viper.....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...-could-happen/
Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E

Exactly!

GM marketing was set to advertise the C7Z as a track beast with creature comforts, period. That's why they put 0-60 times, horsepower, magnetic suspension, carbon brakes etc in the marketing. You don't see GM pushing, seat warmers, dual zone climate control and crap like that.

The Corvette is never going to be the fastest car out there. But it would be nice if it could run hard AND be reliable like the previous generation cars. Hell the LS1 C5 I had, I drove the **** out of that car as a DD for 5 years and only developed an engine problem after 140k miles.

-Alex
Old 01-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Illegal Machine
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Viper's best time at Laguna Seca is 1:28.65. Randy Pobst even set the record. No idea why Motor Trend didn't even mention it.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I think I recall Ralph Gilles saying Randy wasn't capable of pushing the Viper and was "scared" of it...good one Ralph....real good.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Jbster
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon.
To be fair, the ACR lucked out they didn't use the C7Z C7R edition.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:57 PM
umatac1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am incredibly impressed at the ACRs performance....sure. I would have been disappointed if it had not been on top time of laguna secas. The following are that times from fastest laps:

1 Dodge Viper ACR (Mk V) Randy Pobst 1:28.65
2 Porsche 918 Spyder Randy Pobst 1:29.89
3 McLaren P1 Randy Pobst 1:30.71
4 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C7) Randy Pobst 1:33.05
5 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)

There are two US sports cars in the top 5 and the other is the Z06. We need a Ford on this list, hopefully the GT can do it. Bragging rights push our car makers to make a faster better car. I appreciate this viper vs corvette vs whatever battles....it makes for better cars all around. C5 to C7 evolution is tremendous and I see what is takes to remain competitive. I hope this continues and the next vette smashes the Z06 and viper. We need to stay on top.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Porsche needs to respond to the ACR with a batshit insane GT2RS.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:31 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by White Out
Porsche needs to respond to the ACR with a batshit insane GT2RS.
They didn't last time, so why would they now?
Old 01-14-2016, 04:09 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Default The Viper is DEAD

http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-d...rtain-airbags/

"The Viper as it currently exists can’t be fitted with curtain airbags without significantly reducing its already limited headroom. Thus, the model will die in 2017,"

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 01-14-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rjwz28
They didn't last time, so why would they now?
GT2RS was around after the gen4 ACR went out of production.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:13 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by White Out
GT2RS was around after the gen4 ACR went out of production.
...and never matched its lap times, last time I checked.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06

What else would you say after dropping 90k on it?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone want to see the Viper ACR pimp smack the Z06 like a street hoe...look here

Old 01-15-2016, 01:35 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rjwz28
...and never matched its lap times, last time I checked.
It was the closest stock car to run with the ACR (gen4). The 991 GT3RS has a slower nurburgring lap time than the 997 GT2RS.

Last edited by White Out; 01-15-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:37 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-d...rtain-airbags/

"The Viper as it currently exists can’t be fitted with curtain airbags without significantly reducing its already limited headroom. Thus, the model will die in 2017,"
That's good for resale of the ACR. Hopefully they bring the viper back more competitive on not just the track but the street as well.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

This has been said over and over and isn't the real reason and if you were a real car guy, you'd know this. There are also more enthusiasts out there that don't come any where near these forums and the truth is, not every1 is completely and totally happy with their Z purchase, as you are. You'd probably have to go to a track every now and again to know this.

Its also quite foolish of you to take joy in knowing the Viper may cease to exist. Again, any real car guy would not feel the same way.

Competition = customer benefits

Quick Reply: Anyone want to see the Viper ACR pimp smack the Z06 like a street hoe...look here