Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche 718 or Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 PM
11LS3A6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StingerBG
Technically, that car is factory colored...it's just a black car! But as stated it has been covered in XPel film. The XPel "Stealth" series film to be exact. It basically turns whatever color your car is and turns it into a "matte" finish!
Can you post pictures of any other colored Vettes with that film applied? I'm curious as to whether other colors look so
Old 02-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette...Porsche
Old 02-13-2016, 08:24 AM
baege
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I went from 981S to C7 back to 981S

Just like so many things in life, the right answer is one that only you can discover based on your own preferences.

But having gone from a 2014 Cayman S to a 2015 C7 back to a 2016 Cayman S, I have some experiences that may or may not resonate with you.

Here's what I preferred about the cayman over the vette:
compact size, nimbleness, shift action, engine sound (yes the vette sounds amazing, but the 981 sounds more like a race car to me), throttle response (I felt lag with the C7's throttle, it isn't as direct or immediate as the 981's even in track mode), interior, overall quality, refinement.

here's what I preferred about the c7: rockstar looks, low end torque, better ride (I had a zf1 and it soaked up the bumps much better than my 981's)

in the end, after having the c7 for a few days, I found I wasn't looking forward to driving as much as I did with the cayman. I used to go for joy drives with the cayman and find excuses to take a longer route. I never did that with the C7.
It's a great car and if I had never experienced a 981 I probably would have been happy with it. But I did experience a 981 and so I wasn't happy with the C7.

But then again I was choosing between a flat 6 981 and a c7. If the choice was turbo four 718 and C7, I would pick the c7. Engine sound and responsiveness is for me, the greatest factor in my enjoyment of a car, and a 718 just sounds horrible and I can't stand turbo lag:

Attached Images   

Last edited by baege; 02-13-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:56 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I drove the little flat six latest generation boxster s and it's a nice car...it's nowhere near as powerful or super car like in performance. I did have the cow booster installed years. Ago on my present corvette and that's all that needed to be done. IMO

I dig the PDK and wish it was available on corvette so could replace my manual transmission corvette for this new technology.

As cool as the PDK is....the lower hp of the Porsche boxster S is quite noticeable. The handling lateral g s are higher in the corvette while the turn in of almost any rear mid engine car is slightly better....

I looked at a 2 thousand mile black 2013 boxster s with an MSRP of 83 grand for 53 grand....with an extended warranty till 2019 and 100k miles..if I remember correctly

It was a beautifully optioned car with 20 inch rims...pasm, PDK and sport chronos s and a ton of other options....

Just wasn't better than my corvette z51 m6 with npp and a power booster mod and a d shaped steering wheel from dsv.

I have 95k miles on this corvette and I still like it better than driving the boxster s with PDK and sport chronos s although it was close.

To each our own..
Old 02-14-2016, 07:51 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

u be the force!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I did not even consider another car because I "LUSTED" for a C7.

That said, if I had considered another car it would have been the 550hp V8 2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Coupe, not a Porsche 718.

Good call. I'm a Porsche fan but if I were going two seater it would be the Jag. It's flat out beautiful and sounds amazing as well.

(Although I haven't drive it, so can't speak to the criticism that it feels heavy... which it is)

Last edited by E in Phila; 02-15-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 11LS3A6
Can you post pictures of any other colored Vettes with that film applied? I'm curious as to whether other colors look so
White is mainly the only other color I've really seen on the C7's. I did see a Laguna Blue Z06 that another forum member on here did (here's the thread.... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ear-bra-2.html). But here are some pics of a white one...kinda hard to actually see it in these pics tho...
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2016, 09:18 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 11LS3A6
Here it is on a yellow car. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-2015-z06.html

Interesting look, but I like gloss better for brighter colors like yellow.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Good call. I'm a Porsche fan but if I were going two seater it would be the Jag. It's flat out beautiful and sounds amazing as well.

(Although I haven't drive it, so can't speak to the criticism that it feels heavy... which it is)

I thought for sure the jaguar f type would be the car I'd pick for my next car...

Screaming good looks..great reviews of the ZF8 speed transmission...tons of power on that supercharged v8....but after driving the boxster s with PDK pasm sport chrono etc I was like the Porsche was the better sports car...

The jaguar f type which I think is amazing looking....was like driving a luxury sedan with a sexy sheet metal body....

I was really disappointed....and I'm in my mid 50s and my better loves jaguars new f type...

I just could bring myself to move from a super car sports car like the corvette to an f type...

I'm not in any rush....but I was tempted by the boxster s more so than the jag...and in the end...I was like.....there's a reason old guys drive corvettes...

Right now I'm on my third one...after owning a vette how can you go to another brand that's so much slower...? So much more disconnected......

Take your pick they are all great...

Just for me....the corvette is my choice...

Dam that jag is sexy looking though....
Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 PM
11LS3A6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StingerBG
White is mainly the only other color I've really seen on the C7's. I did see a Laguna Blue Z06 that another forum member on here did (here's the thread....
Originally Posted by graj6
Here it is on a yellow car.

Interesting look, but I like gloss better for brighter colors like yellow.
Thanks guys. If someone is going for a slightly more "exotic" look, that appears to be a good way to get it. I like how they all look.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 AM
ptran00
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtol117
The Porsche 718 was announced a few days ago and I immediately fell in love

It will release in June, around the same time as a 2017 c7 and it will be the same time I make my final decision

I can't decide between the two
I think it depends on your needs. My car is a daily driver commuting to work 20 miles each way (street and freeway). I have no plans to take my car to the track. I want a comfortable ride to drive 400 miles on a weekend trip to other cities.

I test drove both the Porsche and the C7 Corvette (manual transmission) and I bought the Corvette base Stingray in June 2017 because the Porsche's ride is way too bumpy (stiff) on streets and freeways. Porsche is also too low that I have to slow to a standstill to cross dips and speedbumps and I don't want to be rearended by a full sized truck.

https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/718-...r/2017/review/
The Corvette's 6.2 litre engine with 460hp/460lb has tons of torque to accelerate from 2nd gear. Corvette's manual transmission 0-60 time is 3.8 seconds whereas Porsche is 4.9 seconds with its 300hp/280lb.

I did not like to wrestle the Porsche's heavy steering wheel.

Corvette is $10k+ less than the Porsche.

2017 Corvette comes with 18/19 inch wheels versus Porsche 18.

Corvette comes standard with 9 Bose speaker versus Porsche 6

I want the open air feeling and the Corvette includes a removable 16lb carbon fiber roof that I can stow in the trunk and still have space below it for cargo. Or you can just buy a Corvette convertible. I prefer the Corvette's targa top for security, is quieter from wind noise, keeps the look of the fastback and vents above the rear fenders.

Porsche charges extra for:
- dual zone climate control
- Apple carplay

Porsche standard that Corvette does not have:
- front and rear parking sensors
- a universal garage door opener
- HD radio

Last edited by ptran00; 07-04-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Add Removable targa top
Old 07-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Cayman or 911 yes! Boxster hell no

Last edited by Ted P; 07-07-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:20 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Ted P
Cayman or 911 yes! Boxster hell no
Curious as to why not the Boxster?

Quick Reply: Porsche 718 or Corvette