Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

OT:991 GT3 Crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
IMO and experience, most cars that are, at least, decently designed and built can be made to handle as well as, or much better than just about ANY factory stock car.

During the late 70' and early 80' when there was not a single decent performance car available due to the horrific smog equipment of the times, I owned two Euro spec Lamborghinis. 1n 1983 the first, promising performance car hit the showroom, the Mustang GT with a lofty 160 Hp. I purchased one immediately, took it home and in a couple of hours the car was half taken apart in my garage. My wife literally screamed when she opened the garage door and saw the brand new Stang in million pieces all over the floor.

A year later when I called the changes good enough, the Stang absolutely demolished both my V12 and V8 mid engined Lamborghinis in handling and in brute power. The handling could be described as "razor sharp" despite the many nay-sayers who told me that a front heavy car, like the Stang, could not be made to handle. I had so much fun on the road and winning on the track with that car that I got bored with and sold both Lambos.

10 years later the 3rd gen, twin turbo RX-7 came out. I bought one immediately and went to work on it. When I got done, it simply ate the Stang alive in both handling and power. Nothing could touch it on the road or the tacks.

I no longer race, nor look for the ultimate suspension setup in my first ever 2015 Stingray. But, while praised by so many pro testers, I found the handling sloppy, lacking precision. A few changes later the previously missing precision is now evident and the car is a pleasure to toss around corners.

The main reason I tended to favor some domestic performance cars, such as the Stang or Vette, precisely because so much could be done to them for generally reasonable investments. Huge after market selections. On the other hand, I have now owned 5 Jaguars in a row, (two presently) and there is basically nothing that I can improve on simply because no after market choices. My 5.0 XKR is gorgeous, quite fast with the factory supercharger but, could not even hope to keep up with my NA Stingray over any kind of winding roads or tracks.

I am most at home when I can modify things and nothing offers me better and more cost effective platforms than these domestics. What is more fun than going to a Ferrari or Porsche track event in a Mustang and set the fast time of the day...
Back then especially mustang had great potential for improvement that was easily accomplished. even 15 years later, I got a new 1993 LX 5.0 and added adjustable tokico shock and Eibach springs and the car was amazing compared to stock and a lot that was available at the time. The car was almost perfectly balanced with slight push but add power would oversteer without getting you in trouble.

Last edited by Joezone914; 03-27-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:01 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

allahooa snackbar.

nice town, beirut.

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 04-03-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:07 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6

The 911 series cars have been developed for about 60 years where they do feel and handle fine for normal and even spirited driving but, if you really challenge them near their limits, they can and will bite you the big way.
not really, not on a 997/991. They are not your 60-80's 911, by far.
I'd agree that they require a different approach on track but, that's about it.