Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:44 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Air Filter Replacement

So, the manual says to inspect the air filter in my '07 C6 every service, but no replacement is called for until at least 50K miles.

So I pulled my filter out this morning and can;t really tell if it's dirty or not. The filter material is black anyway. (oh, lord, please don't tell me it's supposed to be white, when new...)

I have 32K miles on the original, but no dusty or harsh conditions so why should I replace it, even though the car is 8 years old? I realize OEM replacement air filters aren't that expensive and it's simple enough to do that even I can do it.

So, advice please?

Oh, how difficult is it to change the cabin filter?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
So, the manual says to inspect the air filter in my '07 C6 every service, but no replacement is called for until at least 50K miles.

So I pulled my filter out this morning and can;t really tell if it's dirty or not. The filter material is black anyway. (oh, lord, please don't tell me it's supposed to be white, when new...)

I have 32K miles on the original, but no dusty or harsh conditions so why should I replace it, even though the car is 8 years old? I realize OEM replacement air filters aren't that expensive and it's simple enough to do that even I can do it.

So, advice please?

I have yet to change the engine air filter at 42k. but I did change the cabin air filter, took all of about 2 minutes on my 2012 model. There was a slight change that made the newer cars a little easier to get the filters in and out.

I did read in here that the filters actually work a little better at blocking out the harmful stuff once worn in (read dirty) and that you shouldn't change them too often.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

So, advice please?

I agree with Smiley's comments.

But I'm curious... you said you pulled the filter and then ask how hard it is to change it? Uhhhhh... no harder than if you put the same one back in? (although I guess removing the new one from its packaging is technically harder)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Air filters are easy to change as long as they are not UNDER inflated.
Sorry, couldn't help myself...
Old 01-30-2015, 07:50 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, advice please?

OMG....let me pull the Scotch out and give this a deep think....curing cancer can wait.

I'll get back to you shortly. It won't take long to respond appropriately....mine will hopefully be at least as clever as Bruno's

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 01-31-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

One of the first things I do when we buy a vehicle is install a K&N air filter. The hype is that it is a lifetime filter, never needs to be replaced and adds 10 whole, whopping horsepower!
Do I believe the hype? Maybe a little....but not the horsepower part. I do like the part where I take the air filter out once every two years or so, clean it, re-oil and re-install, never to buy another air filter as long as I live or buy another car, whichever comes first.

Due to the agitation feature of the one-off air filter in your 1-of-42 Aero Lightweight C6, it could be a bank-breaker to fund the special edition Northwest version K&N filter.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:58 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Oh duh..... changing the CABIN filter (that'll teach me to hit-and-run over here while in the middle of a cerebral debate over in PR&C!)

Cabin filter access is super easy on a C6 - it's right behind the battery and, assuming it's not a Z06, you don't need to remove the battery get at it

Old 01-31-2015, 01:54 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I agree with Smiley's comments.

But I'm curious... you said you pulled the filter and then ask how hard it is to change it? Uhhhhh... no harder than if you put the same one back in? (although I guess removing the new one from its packaging is technically harder)
It was the cabin filter I was curious about. Not the air filter.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:22 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
OMG....let me pull the Scotch out and give this a deep think....curing cancer can wait.

I'll get back to you shortly. It won't take long to respond appropriately....mine will hopefully be at least as clever as Bruno's
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had fallen and couldn't get up. Had to call my valet ((BevMo delivery guy) as I quit Life Alert to save the $20 a month.

What was the question?
Old 01-31-2015, 06:44 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

If you care for the Car replace all filters ASAP. If its not that important to you then never mind. During Spring up here they is so much debris/pollen etc up here that I would change (or like mine, I just have to clean it...Blackwing) every year.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:49 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had fallen and couldn't get up. Had to call my valet ((BevMo delivery guy) as I quit Life Alert to save the $20 a month.

What was the question?
It's okay, Walter. As I expected I received a lot of good advice regarding replacing my air filter. Now what I want to know if is the OEM filter supposed to be black and the replacement Delco filter replacement supposed to be white?

Well that's what I discovered. Do you suppose my filter was that dirty to turn it black or if it's part of some sinister communist plot to make us all spend money on air filters and thereby slow down the production of military equipment. Do you think there is some ISIS influence here?

I guess my only disappointment relates to the two torque wrenches I bought recently and wasn't able to use either of them on the filter replacement process.

BTW, can I come over to your place to watch that football game tomorrow? Can I bring my new torque wrenches?

Last edited by last901; 01-31-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Helpless cry for intervention
Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

It's okay, Walter. As I expected I received a lot of good advice regarding replacing my air filter. Now what I want to know if is the OEM filter supposed to be black and the replacement Delco filter replacement supposed to be white?

Well that's what I discovered. Do you suppose my filter was that dirty to turn it black or if it's part of some sinister communist plot to make us all spend money on air filters and thereby slow down the production of military equipment. Do you think there is some ISIS influence here?

I guess my only disappointment relates to the two torque wrenches I bought recently and wasn't able to use either of them on the filter replacement process.

BTW, can I come over to your place to watch that football game tomorrow? Can I bring my new torque wrenches?

First of all...yes, of course you can come over, especially as I won't be here. I'll give you the garage code....and put my valet at your disposal.

I'll be out on the ridge....very close to plateupia. I'd invite you but you'd just demeur etc etc.

As for the any filter....don't be silly. The manufacturer knows better than any of us so why would you presume to know more? Your driving style in this area DOES NOT put any undue demand on your car. I've done all the other including AMSOIL air/oil filters and they all look the same when they all away your car in buckets. Not that you do...I know you know better....and I understand you're just bored. I may invest in a hydro just to keep you off the (Forum) streets.......

Love ya bro......go Hawks!

PS I have a lotta ideas for torque wrenches..........

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 02-01-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

First of all...yes, of course you can come over, especially as I won't be here. I'll give you the garage code....and put my valet at your disposal.

I'll be out on the ridge....very close to plateupia. I'd invite you but you'd just demeur etc etc.

As for the any filter....don't be silly. The manufacturer knows better than any of us so why would you presume to know more? Your driving style in this area DOES NOT put any undue demand on your car. I've done all the other including AMSOIL air/oil filters and they all look the same when they all away your car in buckets. Not that you do...I know you know better....and I understand you're just bored. I may invest in a hydro just to keep you off the (Forum) streets.......

Love ya bro......go Hawks!

PS I have a lotta ideas for torque wrenches..........
Invest in a hydro? I've got some great ideas for you.

Go Hawks!

I sure hope this is going to be the great game everyone expects.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Filter Replacement

Quick Reply: Air Filter Replacement