Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Drop The Mic......

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grandsport4me1963
Cool era we live in although the E-Ray seems a bit silly but I guess the others are doing it. Surprised they didn't save i-Ray since most things these days have an "i".
LOL.....might be the only way to engage some of the millenials.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:34 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by last901
Oh, really? Thank heavens that mystery is finally solved.

By the way, Mr Inside, would you mind advising me who is going to win the 2017 Super Bowl?
Oh yea of little faith....speaking of which, I missed you at last Sunday's service...
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Oh yea of little faith....speaking of which, I missed you at last Sunday's service...
What service? (Oh, I think I know..) Actually we had a family celebration we couldn't miss. Mary's family of course - they celebrate anything and everything. Besides, the sisty uglers hadn't seen each other for 11 days and had to plan their fishing trip, christmas shopping trip, gambling trip to Rochester... Not to mention the annual gathering for their birthdays.

Just sayin' no excuses.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:59 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...mpaign=content

Now you know why I sold Superman.....
Ah hah! Gonna get another blue one?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:02 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Default It's coming.....

....perhaps in spite of Phil's skepticism.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/mid-e...2A7EB541962AC1
Old 06-29-2016, 05:43 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

....perhaps in spite of Phil's skepticism.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/mid-e...2A7EB541962AC1
Skepticism? This whole project - if it is a project and not an experiment - is really getting legs. you know, sorta' like early programs that yielded such landmark classics as: The Corvair, the Vega, the Cavalier, the EV-1, the Buick Grand National and the ever popular "Luv" mini truck? Nevertheless, it may come to pass, just like the later GTO's, the G8 El Camino. Not to mention discontinuing an entire line of vehicles (Oldsmobile) that were the best styled cars to ever come out of GM. Thanks God GM kept the portholes in the Buicks for awhile. The Buicks now offer an alternative to the Cadillacs, though the demographic would seem to appeal to both the "Retired Seniors" and the "Nearly Dead" Forget the magnificent attempt to convince the market that the CTS-V Cadillac was a viable alternative to a BMW.

Okay, flame suit on. Have at me. I'm just sayin' My point being that GM, IMHO, with a few exceptions, has so often misjudged the market place, who knows what they might do with the Corvette. Their "halo car"

I suppose the mid-engined Corvette is inevitable. I just wonder what they think it will be successful at the price? Do you think they can build it on the same line at Bowling Green as the "base" model?

We'll see, I suppose... Maybe I am as skeptical as Walter thinks I am.

But, after all, this is a forum, right?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 PM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Right on Phil!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Remember, a large part of Corvette is racing, and to compete with the new Ford GT and the Ferrari 488 they need to improve Aero and transitional response. Going Mid would achieve both goals easy. I also think they'll keep making front engine ones also. Time will tell....
Old 07-01-2016, 10:23 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...n=awdailydrive
Old 07-01-2016, 05:49 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

All right, All right, all right...

My god, this is beginning to look like GM hired Edward Snowden to handle marketing for the new Corvette.

It's inevitable and Jet Ninja is probably right re the need to go to the mid-engined layout if GM continues to race the Corvette. I wasn't sure they were actually in the same class (as the Ford Gt) at LeMans, but if not, they probably will be with he mid-engined configuration. I do hope they stay the course (corse?) in racing. The French seem to be up to their old arcane tricks re the rules.

Like many of you, I'm curious how this is going to play out in terms of the marketplace. I suppose if the ME car looks as much like the "regular" C7 perhaps they can build both versions on the same line. Maybe they just put the chassis for the mid-engined cars backwards on the moving line. Not sure, but modern manufacturing engineering can probably figure it out. Cost (or price) will determine if they can market both versions profitably. These people are much brighter than me. At least I hope so.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, Have you found a dealer yet, Walter, that will take an order for your "Zora"? If so, share the information with me via PM. Who knows, maybe I'll order a new "Aero Lightweight" version and turn my C6 (one of 42) over to the Corvette Museum. (unless Young Grasshopper wants it)

BTW, is there any validity to the rumor than Cadillac is going to build a new CTS-V2 with engines in both the front and the rear?

I'm going to go pour another wee dram of scotch.

Just sayin'

Last edited by last901; 07-01-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:33 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

https://mobile.twitter.com/CorvetteA...883008/photo/1

Spy shot looks like it won't be as radical as the Ford GT but who knows.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
https://mobile.twitter.com/CorvetteA...883008/photo/1

Spy shot looks like it won't be as radical as the Ford GT but who knows.
Fine with me. I don't think most Vette buyers would enjoy the corresponding 400K price tag the GT commands either.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:04 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
Fine with me. I don't think most Vette buyers would enjoy the corresponding 400K price tag the GT commands either.
Agreed. I'll buy a house somewhere in Arizona this time.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...-c7-runs-2021/

Looks like they're going to do it in spite of Phil....and I've always thought this was a more realistic timeline.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I suppose what with all the hype and clamor, Chevrolet will eventually build a mid-engined Corvette. Does anyone understand why? My guess, at least initially, is that they need to homologate a mid-engined design in order to race in a production based class.

Given that the new ZO6 is a $100K+ car, one can only imagine what a civilian edition will cost. Hope they know what they're doing. They probably do what with all these marketing experts they employ. Other than the racing matter, I can't imagine this is going to be a competitor in the market place to Ferrari and the other exotics.

We'll see. I can tell you with confidence that I'm not getting in line for one. I wonder too, about continuing the current model configuration at the same time.

To my mind, it's the sort of thing that would get Harley riders to buy a Ducati. Or not. Even if they were built in the same factory.

I'm still trying to convince myself it would be a good idea to buy a new C7 and replace my C6. Just can't pull the trigger on that one.

So, best of luck to GM for building a mid-engined Corvette. It's been rumored for the last 50 years so who knows? Not for me though.

Just sayin'
Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

They keep building both front and mid engine so stop sweating it. Mid will help them compete better in IMSA/Tudor racing and the current Z06 already is a Ferrari/Lambo?Porsche competitor, it smacks most of them on a race track as is. And if Ford can sell every GT at almost $400K, I see Chevy having no issue selling a Mid Engine Vette for under $200K......
Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JETninja
They keep building both front and mid engine so stop sweating it. Mid will help them compete better in IMSA/Tudor racing and the current Z06 already is a Ferrari/Lambo?Porsche competitor, it smacks most of them on a race track as is. And if Ford can sell every GT at almost $400K, I see Chevy having no issue selling a Mid Engine Vette for under $200K......
Oh, believe me, John, I'm not sweating it. Just musing over the plan. I think you and I agree on everything you say. Especially when it comes to racing. But with offering both a front engined and a rear engined does that, in effect, vis-a-vis the Ford GT, make the front engine Corvette more like a Mustang in the hierarchy of things? As I say, I'm not going to sweat it. This is a forum so I'm merely "foruming".

As I say, I'm not in the market - yet - for a new Corvette, but based on what I've learned and understanding what my current C6 is worth, it seems to make sense to buy used, if at all.

How's the recovery going?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:01 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Read my last post in my picture thread.....slowly healing...

Quick Reply: Drop The Mic......