Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Seattle-Everett-Marysville recommend a shop for Runflat mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Seattle-Everett-Marysville recommend a shop for Runflat mounting?

Hi all,
Looking to replace the original tires on my 2011 ZR1. Wheels are stock and I'll be using PSS ZP in the OEM sizes. This is my first experience with runflats and I honestly hadn't given it much thought until I started reading about many bad experiences getting these things properly mounted.

My normal "go-to" tire shop is willing to give it a shot, but admitted that they don't see these very often. I'd rather not experiment so thought I would ask here.

Can anyone recommend a tire shop North of Seattle (I'd be willing to drive to Seattle or Bellevue if need be) that has experience with these setups? Preferably firsthand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:25 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Tire Rack has a list of their "approved" facilities that will mount any of the tires they sell. You can check there or maybe ask at a local Discount Tire or even Les Schwab to see if they can mount the tires.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

While my C4 & C5 do not have wheels as wide as your ZR1, I would suggest that you call the discount tire store 8125 evergreen way in Everett. I've been bring both my vettes there for the past 12 years. They have always been very careful and respectful of my cars.

Call them and ask them. I'm sure they will give you straight answers to your questions on what their equipment can do..
Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

For the record, this is not necessarily a tire width issue nor is it ZR1-specific (the C6 Z06/Z07 and C7 Z06 apparently have similar issues), but is more so an issue related to the Michelin tires and the stiffness of their run flat sidewalls.

Here are a couple of threads on the subject for those interested:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ort-tires.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oem-tires.html

Anyway, hoping that someone that has had the PSS or PSC2 runflats mounted locally will chime in with their experience.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Talk to Cory from Sound Wheel Work, (425) 449-8110 in Bellevue.

He is an owner operator of the shop who has taken special care of all my especial needs!
He used to own Extreme Wheels. He grew up doing wheels, and mounting odd tires as a family biz. He drag races his car too. He will be straight with you no matter what.

Cory also told me the main issue with these tires is getting them off, not mounting them. So it sounds like it should be fine. He also charges less than big shops. ...suggested drinks of his choice: Gatoraid!

Last edited by Kamran; 02-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fulton 1 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 03:56 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Well, do'nt bother with Costco.

I bought a set of Michelin run flats from Discount Tire in Redmond last year and everything went very well. I suspect just about any Discount Tire will help you out.

Oh, one comment: when I went to pay the bill, I "caught" them adding a $40 charge per tire for some sort of extended warranty. It may be a good dal,but I tend to drive my C6 only about 1200 miles per year so the warranty would have run out long before I could need it. The standard warranty is just fine for my use.

In my xprienc though, all the Discount Tire shops have been great.

Last edited by last901; 02-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Discount tire in Bellevue off of Bell Red road..

They will tske good care of you -- I have used thm for both my C5 and C6
Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Originally Posted by Kamran
Talk to Cory from Sound Wheel Work, (425) 449-8110 in Bellevue.

He is an owner operator of the shop who has taken special care of all my especial needs!
He used to own Extreme Wheels. He grew up doing wheels, and mounting odd tires as a family biz. He drag races his car too. He will be straight with you no matter what.

Cory also told me the main issue with these tires is getting them off, not mounting them. So it sounds like it should be fine. He also charges less than big shops. ...suggested drinks of his choice: Gatoraid!
Had a chance to talk with Corey this afternoon. Definitely a nice guy and knows the situation. He said these setups are a PITA, but he can do the work. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Had a chance to talk with Corey this afternoon. Definitely a nice guy and knows the situation. He said these setups are a PITA, but he can do the work. Thanks for the recommendation.
Anytime.

He is absolutely a genuine man and a stand up guy who stands behind anything he says and does...been doing this all of his adult and most of teenage life! Far above the wrench monkeys you get at a corporate style shops and at a much better price!

On another news, he is one of the best, if not the best at the art of wheel repairs and straightening, with all the right equipment.

Last edited by Kamran; 02-14-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 AM
Fulton 1
Racer

Originally Posted by Kamran
Anytime.

He is absolutely a genuine man and a stand up guy who stands behind anything he says and does...been doing this all of his adult and most of teenage life! Far above the wrench monkeys you get at a corporate style shops and at a much better price!

On another news, he is one of the best, if not the best at the art of wheel repairs and straightening, with all the right equipment.
I definitely got this impression. He was honest about it right from the get-go and he asked for a couple of pics to confirm so we didn't drag everything down there and have an issue at the last minute. He was happy to do it after seeing the pics so we're good to go. Also, going to be shipping the tires directly to him so that saves some hassle.

Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Kamran
Pro

I definitely got this impression. He was honest about it right from the get-go and he asked for a couple of pics to confirm so we didn't drag everything down there and have an issue at the last minute. He was happy to do it after seeing the pics so we're good to go. Also, going to be shipping the tires directly to him so that saves some hassle.

Thanks again.
You are very welcome!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:38 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

The Discount Tire in Redmond close to the Target has flat lifts, so even very low cars have Zero issues. Not sure how many other of their shops have them yet.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:18 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

Cooper tires in Marysville has ALWAYS mounted my tires, and I have had some wicked setups. Never caused any damage, period. My old E92, which had a 20% stretch
Attached Images   

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 02-22-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

I've used Discount Tire in Bothell and they have not scratched a wheel so far. Of course, I always mention that my wheels are pristine and I expect them to not be dinged. So far, no issues.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:21 PM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi all,
Looking to replace the original tires on my 2011 ZR1. Wheels are stock and I'll be using PSS ZP in the OEM sizes. This is my first experience with runflats and I honestly hadn't given it much thought until I started reading about many bad experiences getting these things properly mounted.

My normal "go-to" tire shop is willing to give it a shot, but admitted that they don't see these very often. I'd rather not experiment so thought I would ask here.

Can anyone recommend a tire shop North of Seattle (I'd be willing to drive to Seattle or Bellevue if need be) that has experience with these setups? Preferably firsthand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Prova Motorsports in Magnolia or Elliott's tires on NW85th in Kirkland.

Get notified of new replies

To Seattle-Everett-Marysville recommend a shop for Runflat mounting?

Quick Reply: Seattle-Everett-Marysville recommend a shop for Runflat mounting?