Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Stalker Wide Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 AM
MBE111
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalker Wide Body Kit

I am looking for someone that has built a Stalker wide body kit on an 86 Corvette before. I have just started but am sure that there are lots of tips and shortcuts that could be shared. Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

ACI usually gives good instructions with their products. If you do not get any more responses to this post...try giving them a PM ....because ACI is a Supporting Vendor here on the forum. I am sure that they would be more than glad to advise you in any issue you may run across. I have installed this kit along with many other custom fiberglass parts in the past. And no matter who's makes these parts...there are always fitting issues that will need to be identified and repaired so you can take it to the highest level of perfection. If that is what you want.

In some areas... I add more fiberglass mat or cloth and resin so the part is a bit stronger. I check all sharp edges for "possible" air pockets in the gelcoat that occured during the manufacturing process. Gosh knows that you do not want to have an air pocket break out after you get it on and painted. LIGHTLY tapping on all sharp edges with a plastic handle of a screwdriver handle works well for me. If the air pocket or any other "issue" is large enough...it will show up and it will have to be repaired. DO NOT BEAT IT TO DEATH. About as hard as when the doctor checks your reflex response at your knee. I do this whenever I get fiberglass parts in for isntallation...you can choose to do it...or not to....I leave it up to you.

It is hard for me to tell you what to do....because I am not there and can see if you have any issues. To get this kit installed and fitting very, very, very well....it will take time. But then again...I am a bit....**** about gaps and panels being flush and whatever seems to not be "quite right". Only because people pay big $$$ to have it done correctly...and the end result should look like someone had a "clue" who worked on it.

Gosh knows I have seen way to many "horror" stories...from "do-it-yourselfers" who should not have even tried. At least you are ahead of them for asking for suggestions. I must applaude you for that...instead of asking how to fix something that you messed up...because you didn't know what you are getting into....and jumped into it blindly.

"DUB"

Quick Reply: Stalker Wide Body Kit