demonx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracks in decklid repair question

Would you:

a) Grind it right out and reglass the whole section
b) Sand it back and fill the cracks with resin
c) simply fill with body filler and then paint

I have several of these cracks all over my 1970 deck lid and I'm not sure what is the best way to appraoch the repair. I'm thinking to fill with resin but I'll throw it out there and see what the general opinion is.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shattered glass will always crack again unless it is ground out and repaired correctly. Don't waste your time trying anything else unless you enjoy redoing things monthly.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have seen this same type of "cracking" numerous times in the past. I have even gone as far as installing a much longer bolt...and using its length as leverage to see if the fiberglass is actually stressed. In many cases it was not...and for some odd reason...these corners crack. The underside of the hoods do it alo at the hinge areas and latch areas. It is your choice on repair method. I use a product that I know that you can not get in Australia...like I tried to get to you in the past. So carefully grinding these cracks out and checking to see if there is actually stress cracks going all the way though the panel. Then apply matt and resin carefully and go from there. It may just be an outer layer of the fiberglass that is stressed enough to crack...and I have many times "popped" it off with a screwdriver...and the fiberglass underneath was fine. You may find that it is a major saturation of resin in this area...and not so much fiberglass material that caused these cracks. Too much resin and NO fiberglass material will cause this issue.

"DUB"
Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 PM
demonx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll be grinding it back and laying mat.

It's a pain in the butt as these cracks are all over the inner decklid.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:08 AM
Jbabek
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I know there are some other Porsche guys in here...attached is a little eye candy on the flares. When the car was set to a 'drivable' ride height, the rear tire opening looked like it was ready to go off roading. The front fenders are steel, so they should be a bit easier to weld on. Car now sits on 345 section tires, and is 82 inches wide at the rear. All in took about 8 hours to make both sides. When it is done, we may scan it and make some proper fenders and convert a second car.

But for now, we need to get through this fiberglass-to-steel thing and I hope someone here can tell me either 'don't do it' or 'do it like this and pray to the Gods of Refinishing.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:33 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Jbabek - I would use a panel bond like SEM 39747
clean both surfaces well and put a good thick bead on both.

Get notified of new replies

To Cracks in decklid repair question

Quick Reply: Cracks in decklid repair question