Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Light scratch removal...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Light scratch removal...

My black Vette has small line type scratches that look like they'll come right out if treated properly. Probably from being washed improperly. A couple of weeks ago I read a thread about a product that would do just that but I can't relocate it. The OP said it could be used by hand without a polisher. Is anyone familiar with it? I don't have a polisher or the experience to use one so the application by hand to remove little scratches appealed to me.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

All automotive car polishes, buffing compounds, etc and be used by hand. It will take a bit longer but it will work none the less.

Depending on how severe the scratches really are...will depend on what type of compound or polish will be needed to remove them.

Whatever you use...test a small spot when the paint is clean and cool to the touch and DO NOT do in direct sunlight.

Just be aware that if your car is still factory paint...the clear coat is not that thick ...so heavy sanding, compounding and polishing can and WILL reduce the thickness of the clear coat and cause for the clear to fail due to the needed mils of clear to allow it to fight against the UV's of the sun is reduced and the clear can fail in time. Hence the cars you might have seen that are all white powdery looking and you can see the clear coming off. I am not meaning oxidized clear...because there is a difference.

If you lightly drag your fingernail backwards over the scratches and you can not feel them...they should buff/polish out. If you can feel them...then they may also be buffed out...but might take some time and have an ill effect in time due to the previous paragraph.

DUB

Quick Reply: Light scratch removal...