Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

81 Front and rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 81 Front and rear bumper

What are the front and rear bumpers made out of on a 81 Vette and what is the best way to strip them? Thanks Tim
Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
What are the front and rear bumpers made out of on a 81 Vette and what is the best way to strip them? Thanks Tim
FACTORY bumpers are made out of urethane. And stripping them is a touchy process so you do not destroy them.... or allow solvents to get in and on them.

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH TO YOU:

I have found that sometimes having them media blasted...NOT SODA BLASTED....will work well but it is still very labor intensive. I do this stuff for a living and do it for people so my end result has to be able to be warrantied and last. SO I can not afford to do it half-a$$ed and not pay the price later when something goes wrong and fails.

I prefer NOT to mess with them because ...as I stated...I do this for people and my time, effort and materials costs can often times exceed the cost of new bumpers. This is contingent on the condition of the original bumpers and the issues they may have. New bumpers would require much less time to prep for re-painting....but have there own separate issues also....depending on if they are urethane or rigid fiberglass.

DUB
Old 09-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
FACTORY bumpers are made out of urethane. And stripping them is a touchy process so you do not destroy them.... or allow solvents to get in and on them.

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH TO YOU:

I have found that sometimes having them media blasted...NOT SODA BLASTED....will work well but it is still very labor intensive. I do this stuff for a living and do it for people so my end result has to be able to be warrantied and last. SO I can not afford to do it half-a$$ed and not pay the price later when something goes wrong and fails.

I prefer NOT to mess with them because ...as I stated...I do this for people and my time, effort and materials costs can often times exceed the cost of new bumpers. This is contingent on the condition of the original bumpers and the issues they may have. New bumpers would require much less time to prep for re-painting....but have there own separate issues also....depending on if they are urethane or rigid fiberglass.

DUB
Thanks DUB
I am on a buget so I was have to try and use these original parts. I think I'll try to scuff them and see what that does for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Just be careful...because the chances that these original bumpers have not been painted on is highly unlikely. SO...if they have been painted on...the chances that the person who painted them had CORRECTLY prepped them for paint...so do not be surprised if paint pops off of them.

DUB
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 PM
77Driver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the sand paper out and sanded them by hand. At the time $800 for a new urethane bumper seemed like a lot of money but in retrospect I think I could have spent my time working a few extra hours to make the extra money and got better results. It did help build up my forearms though.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 77Driver
I got the sand paper out and sanded them by hand. At the time $800 for a new urethane bumper seemed like a lot of money but in retrospect I think I could have spent my time working a few extra hours to make the extra money and got better results. It did help build up my forearms though.
EXACTLY my point. what seems to be an easy task grows into a major process...and even though time was spent and may be "free". It is serious time and like you mentioned. "In retrospect"... This is exactly why even though I can do it...if I spend more time trying to repair or save a part that will never be RIGHT...why waste the time. MAJOR urethane bumper prep and repair on a used/distorted bumper is NO PICNIC.

DUB
Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Calling DUB

Hey DUB, which new bumper would you choose? Trueflex,fiberglass or urethane ? or some other ?
Thanks a million !
Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikejpss
Hey DUB, which new bumper would you choose? Trueflex,fiberglass or urethane ? or some other ?
Thanks a million !
It all depends.

Urethane is fine and will install faster than any other type. There is a bit of patience when installing it because if you tighten the nuts too much...you can create buckles in a new part due to the tension you are adding to the mounting flange. REMEMBER...the bumper cover does NOT offer any significant impact resistance. It is there are aerodynamics and styling. The "problem" with urethane is when it comes to prepping ti and painting it. Specific processes need to be observed so maximum adhesion of products applied to the urethane will take as designed.

Rigid fiberglass. I do this quite often and is my choice...BUT...for me and the way I do it...It does take a bit of time fitting the bumper perfectly to the body. So when it is completed...the seam is PERFECT. I also apply more fiberglass and resin to strengthen the bumper. WHY do you ask do I do that. Because back in the 80's...the bumper covers were STOUT. Today...it seems that the "bean counters" try to cut back where they can and in doing so...the bumpers get lighter and weaker...and if they get weaker...which they are...they themselves can buckle if you do not get the bumper modified correctly. Many of these aftermarket bumper covers do not even come close to the strength of the other panels on your car. Like I mentioned...or maybe I didn't. it is a process to get one to "click" on perfectly.

Flex-glass bumpers...I HATE putting them on and if a customer comes in with one...they are on there own. I am "old-school" and this attempt to combine urethane flex and fiberglass is something I just do not care to endorse. Getting them to fit is a joke when you have to cut the flange to allow movement and get the cover to fit. Then ...if a crack develops from the cut that was needed to get the cover to fit. Guess who will have to fix it because I was the one who installed the PIECE OF (fill in what you think). One again..my opinion...your results may be different. But I strive to deliver quality WITHOUT problems in the future.

If you plan on installing a rigid bumper...PM me and we can talk so I can let you know my process. It is time consuming but the end result is the best you are going to get.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Front and rear bumper

Quick Reply: 81 Front and rear bumper