Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Vandal damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:26 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Vandal damage, WHATDOYA THINK????

looks like someone tried to steal my rear license plate got pissed and tried to pry it off leaving a 2 in. hair line crack in the plastic bumper under the plate. So am thinking I could super glue it back together,sand it down prime and paint with a rattle can, whatdoya think?
Attached Images  

Last edited by lectroglide; 08-24-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

To me it doesn't appear that the license plate was pryed. I do not see any damage to the license plate or frame. And with the bolt fastened the plate could not swing out that far. Something else happened there, as far as I can tell by your photo.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Why would someone try to steal a $15 frame. Does the crack go all the way thru or is it just on the surface.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 AM
lectroglide
Pro

After I discovered it had to think about it for about 3 days and is the only thing I can come up with, their were also 4 bolts holding the frame on now thiers 3. I baby that car and know where every little flaw is , and yes the crack is all the way thru.

Last edited by lectroglide; 08-25-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:25 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I would make a bet that if you were to strip the paint off that area you will find that some where along the line somebody repaired that bumper using regular body filler. And if that is the case, All it would take to crack it is for any action that would cause that area to flex. So what you are looking at is an improperly repaired bumper cover.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can tell you from experience that the amount of effort to create that crack...which it is really hard to see....looks more like scratch. That the effort would have to be EXTREME!!!

I am with 'persuader' on this one. I would bet that there is hidden damage.

The WEIRD thing is that the 'crack' does not go all the way to your license plate/reverse light pocket area. It stops BEFORE the edge of the panel. More is going on here than meets the eye.

A better photo is needed ...where you can take a photo showing that you have panel separation..if possible.

Hard to tell you what to do and how to do it and I am NOT one to tell people to use 'rattle can' paint for a repair on a car that they know 'every little thing' on. Because this then could be the 'big little thing' on the car you know about. Rattle can clear just does not hold up to the sun's UV rays like professional grade materials...and on that flat surface...you could be asking for more problems in the future when it starts to yellow and crack/peel off.

DISCLAIMER: I do not test each and every rattle can product to see how well it works. mainly because I do not have to because I use professional grade materials....so...it is possible that you might find something that will work....but regardless of whose rattle can clear a person uses...it is still NOT a catalyzed product....which makes it very SOLVENT sensitive. It will be a thermo-plastic product..like old school lacquer...versus a thermo-set product which is able to be hardened. SO gas spilling on this area when it is hot due to being in the sun...it can get ruined very quickly.

DUB
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Dropped car off at body shop today and is being repaired correctly

Last edited by lectroglide; 08-26-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vandal damage

Quick Reply: Vandal damage