Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C3 doors...fiberglass separation

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 PM
FattyB
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 doors...fiberglass separation

I have a 76 vette, the bottom of the doors (on both sides) have separated from the inner metal door. I have seen videos of people using epoxy to re-attach the fiberglass to the metal. Just wondering what the best way is to detach the fiberglass skin from the metal so I can remove rust from the door and then re-apply the fiberglass afterwards. If anyone has any tips or suggestions let me know!
Fab
Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you are asking how to remove the ENTIRE skin...That will require a lot of heat and time and patience. I have found that using a kerosene heater blowing on the panel to get it really hot and slowly working it off is the fastest way. I have used a heat gun...which works...but can not heat a large enough area...where it is required in some areas of the door skin to remove WITHOUT cracking the skin. Some areas take both....kerosene heater and a heat gun. I have done numerous for the exact same reason as what you have going on.

DUB
Old 09-12-2014, 01:40 AM
FattyB
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door skin

Are you heating the door from the inside to detach the skin or would be acceptable to heat the seams where the fiber glass meets the metal of the door?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I heat the steel and the outer skin . A majority of the sides and the full bottom will be easy. It is along the top is where it gets tricky due to two areas that have been bonded.

You will basically stop near the lock cylinder when doing the sides and bottom.....if that is what you plan to do....and then get the top area heated well so you do not crack the skin when trying to release it. And do not be surprised if you do not get burnt a little.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C3 doors...fiberglass separation

Quick Reply: C3 doors...fiberglass separation