Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1963 SWC driver paint job

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1963 SWC driver paint job

I have a 63 SWC stripped to bare fiberglass. I want a nice paint job, not a show car paint job. I talked to Dub and he recommended gel coat application. Is that necessary? The last time I painted my Vette I used Kondar and lacquer paint with good results. I plan on using base coat/clear coat this time. My question is what to use under the base coat. I have used PPG K36 before with good results. Has anyone had any experience with K36 on a Corvette. Should I put DP on before the K36. I always considered DP to be used on metal cars.
I am all ears for anyone who could help me on this
Old 09-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

DUB and Porchdog are both pros that freely and graciously give their time to help us with our projects. Both have different techniques to accomplish the same goal, A direct answer to your question regarding gel coat is no, you don't need to. Porchdog doesn't use it and instead uses SPI epoxy primer. I am somewhat familiar with PPG and the DPLV epoxy primer is a sandable primer unlike the DPLF, Before you start do your homework on this site to determine the direction you want to go.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

As Dave mentioned...but in another way...there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I know you can apply about anything you want as a primer....because WAY back in the day...I also used lacquer primer and let it cure out well and painted lacquer on it and had no ill effects. Some jobs would have little issues...which were repairable. BUT that was it for me. That is when I began using gelcoat and have never looked back...and since I began that as a mandatory process on an all-over...I have had NO issues.

YES...I have DP'd the car and also applied the K36 when I was an approved PPG shop. BUT that was on an SMC bodied Corvette...and NOT an early press-molded polyester bodied Corvette.. Did it work on the SMC body Corvettes...YES...do I do it any longer...NO. I use another process.

Is gelcoating a Corvette a process...YES IT IS...which is why many choose NOT to do it. But those that do.... have applied a material that is like no other. And knowing that you do not want a 'show car' paint job...I guess it all falls down to what you can live with.

Please try to remember that I have a completely different perspective on issues like this than others. I have to warranty my work. And I can tell you that when you work for months on a the body work and have a paint problems due to NOT performing a step that could have avoided this problem....you would take a step back and re-think your process. Well..I have... and did just that. Also...I feel the Corvette is worth it. Not using the best materials that the industry can offer ...regardless if it takes more time I would feel would be in injustice to my customers. When 99 times out of a 100...they say: "I want it RIGHT!" AND to me ...there is only one RIGHT.

Obviously 'jackson 63'...it is your car. AND I am NOT judging you on your choice of 'whatever' you choose to use or what processes you chose to employ or not employ. All I will write is that I hope when you are done...that the car is the way you want it and it lasts. Becasue NOTHING is worse than getting it out in the sun...and all of a sudden 'things' start to appear....and you tell yourself..."WOULDA-COULDA-SHOULDA". Gosh knows...I have.... and PAID DEARLY for those mistakes.

BEST OF LUCK...and hopefully 'porchdog' will chime in about how well he feels the SPI products work for him. On that issue I can not comment at all. I can only comment on my successes I have had since using gelcoat.

DUB
Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

gel coat is the ultimate barrier . in the old days there was nothing but sealer 70 which was useless. it depends on the condition of the car. even though i dont regularly gel coat there are exceptions. the spi epoxy works very well as a primer . light years ahead of k36 which is an old 80's urethane primer. evercoat has some new hybrid products out but i have not used them yet. like dub said first you need to decide what you want in the end.
i would not use anything other than epoxy or polyester for a primer if you go that route.
gelcoat works excellent but depending on your ability to apply it there can be a ton of work involved. i still have a dedicated gel coat gun. if done correctly there is nothing to swell , shrink or cause problems .

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 SWC driver paint job

Quick Reply: 1963 SWC driver paint job