Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

garage painting temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Freddy76
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default garage painting temperatures

What is the ideal temperature for painting in your home garage ?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Most paint systems have temperature ranges for what reducers to use. I don't think 50 degrees would work well for any paint. Probably 70 degrees would be a good minimum. If the temperature is very hot, you could have issues with the paint catalyzing too soon and dripping sweat on the paint.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

50 degrees in my system is as low as I can go. PERFECT temp is ambient air temperature (70F-85F)...and REALLY HOT...100+F I can shoot in it...but I prefer not to.

AS Dave mentioned...it has everything to do with the paint system you are using and what reducers and hardeners that you can use for the temps you are shooting at. And often times...depending on the paint system and a person PRACTICING BEFORE they paint the car...is to use a grade SLOWER than the air temp they are shooting at....or 'cocktailing' the correct temp reducer with some that is one grade slower. It aids in application....at least in my system it is how I paint.

DUB
Old 10-08-2014, 11:55 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good info above... I also like to test the "body temperature" before shooting as well... Especially when "heating" your garage/booth... You can bring ambient up fairly quickly, but could take another couple of hours for body to reach the same ambient temp... You can get a fairly cheap infrared temp gun from HF to get a good reading before shooting... I always aimed for 3-4 hours "after" getting the garage to 70-75 before attempting to shoot...

Rogman
Old 10-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Freddy76
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Next question, what about humidity ? Big factor in this equation ? I've been follwing the weather the last few days and I feel my painting window is getting smaller.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Rogman16,

You are CORRECT...it takes a while to get the surface temperature up on the body...even though the air in the booth is high....the body can be still be cold.

Originally Posted by Freddy76
Thanks for the replies. Next question, what about humidity ? Big factor in this equation ? I've been follwing the weather the last few days and I feel my painting window is getting smaller.
Humidity is a factor...but once again....I can adjust me reducers to allow my basecoat to have enough time to flash where it is not an issue. I do not want pot be painting down in the Amazon....but if I had to....I could. I can paint when it is raining....but would hate to paint right after a rain storm and the sun is out drying it up and you can see the steam. Looking for a 'magic number' on percentage of humidity...I do not have one...but 50% is fine...but once again....you are asking...so that tells me you are not painter...and are you actually going to shoot test panels....or just jump right in and shoot it blind....NOT knowing what is going to happen.

The main factor is your air compressor and the moisture removing system you choose to use. That is where you can find yourself really messing up the best of environmental conditions...because you have an air compressor that is running like crazy ( because it is TOO SMALL)...and it is REALLY getting hot...and moisture is collecting in your hose and you are actually shooting water on the car with your paint.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To garage painting temperatures

Quick Reply: garage painting temperatures