Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

adhesive to repair broken fender panel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Steener
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adhesive to repair broken fender panel?

The lower front fender panel (the one that gives access to the battery) on my C4 is broken. A small, roughly triangular piece at the rear of the panel, where the slot that accepts the bolt that holds the bottom of the panel to the frame is snapped off. (Not me - previous owner is to blame!)

There is an existing (unsuccessful) repair using some sort of rubbery adhesive that is easily peeled off. The break looks nice and clean - nothing missing - and since it's in an invisible spot, I'm wondering what I could use to bond the pieces back together in a more-or-less permanent fashion.

Any all suggestions appreciated!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Steener
The lower front fender panel (the one that gives access to the battery) on my C4 is broken. A small, roughly triangular piece at the rear of the panel, where the slot that accepts the bolt that holds the bottom of the panel to the frame is snapped off. (Not me - previous owner is to blame!)

There is an existing (unsuccessful) repair using some sort of rubbery adhesive that is easily peeled off. The break looks nice and clean - nothing missing - and since it's in an invisible spot, I'm wondering what I could use to bond the pieces back together in a more-or-less permanent fashion.

Any all suggestions appreciated!
You need to provide a photo...and also the YEAR. GM made the lower fenders out of SMC and also plastic...hard to tell you anything when you say it is a 'C4' and not knowing what it is made out of.

DUB
Old 11-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Steener
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
You need to provide a photo...and also the YEAR. GM made the lower fenders out of SMC and also plastic...hard to tell you anything when you say it is a 'C4' and not knowing what it is made out of.

DUB
Ah...sorry, new owner: just assumed they were all the same material. Should have done some research. Anyway, it's a '95. Will try to get a pic up tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Steener
Instructor

Well, seems like the adhesive question is now moot.

Once I got it apart, I could see that the tab on the bottom of the panel is actually shattered, and there are pieces missing. I guess someone in the past must have over-tightened the bolt.

Not great pics, but you can probably get the idea.

The view in the bottom two pics had given me the idea it was a nice, clean break, but once I loosened the bottom bolt, the bits just fell out, leaving what you see in the first pic here. I gathered them up, but there's clearly a few missing.

Maybe I can fabricate something to keep it in place.

Any recommendations on materials for that?

thanks.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

95 Vette should have a plastic fender from the factory...and on the backside should have large capitol letters with a circle around these letters and the letters may be PP, PPO, ABS, PUR, TPO etc.

What does it have on the back of this fender????...and when you get it off...need better photo's when it is off. Some from a distance away and then close-ups but not to the point that I can see the molecular structure of the fender.

DUB
Old 11-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Steener
Instructor

Thanks, DUB. I have a line on a replacement panel that is damaged, so if I'm able to get my hands on that one, I'll post again with more info and pics and maybe I can pick your brain about combining the two damaged panels into one good one.

cheers from chilly Canada.

Get notified of new replies

To adhesive to repair broken fender panel?

Quick Reply: adhesive to repair broken fender panel?