Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1976 new urethane cover

Hi

Just installed a new urethane front bumper cover on my 76. The cover fits relatively well except for a high point left of the nose moving to the drivers side headlight. It's a noticeable ridge.

What were the factory urethane tolerances? Any suggestions on how to improve the fit?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ike27
Hi

Just installed a new urethane front bumper cover on my 76. The cover fits relatively well except for a high point left of the nose moving to the drivers side headlight. It's a noticeable ridge.

What were the factory urethane tolerances? Any suggestions on how to improve the fit?

Thanks!
A few GOOD photos of your problem...can not see it from where I live.

It could be that the cover may need to be sanded on...especially if it is an aftermarket one and they did not trim it correctly before they shot a primer on it....and that is if it is primed or not.

FLUSH if not a hair below flush. You should be able to run your hand towards the bumper and NOT catch on an edge.

DO NOT TIGHTEN the spinning masker nuts TO DEATH. If you do...you can cause for a buckle when it gets hot and out in the sun. Get it to pull up and make contact and NOT move and then STOP. Use COMMON SENSE....and either put a dab of RTV on the threads so the nut will not back off by itself...or double nut it...or snug it a tab more and keep an eye on it.

When I do urethane covers I get them installed and then set it out in the sun....it will let you know if you are off or not.

DUB
Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dub

I have the Ecklers black aftermarket. I opened up the holes in the cover a bit to allow some play with the mounting bracket and that seems to have it in line.

Originally Posted by DUB
A few GOOD photos of your problem...can not see it from where I live.

It could be that the cover may need to be sanded on...especially if it is an aftermarket one and they did not trim it correctly before they shot a primer on it....and that is if it is primed or not.

FLUSH if not a hair below flush. You should be able to run your hand towards the bumper and NOT catch on an edge.

DO NOT TIGHTEN the spinning masker nuts TO DEATH. If you do...you can cause for a buckle when it gets hot and out in the sun. Get it to pull up and make contact and NOT move and then STOP. Use COMMON SENSE....and either put a dab of RTV on the threads so the nut will not back off by itself...or double nut it...or snug it a tab more and keep an eye on it.

When I do urethane covers I get them installed and then set it out in the sun....it will let you know if you are off or not.

DUB
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks Dub

I have the Ecklers black aftermarket. I opened up the holes in the cover a bit to allow some play with the mounting bracket and that seems to have it in line.
YEAH...I KNOW ALL ABOUT THOSE...Just be patient. I can not remember if they come in primed or not. If when you open up the holes you see a urethane that is more a creamy yellow-tan...then it is primed. IF the bumper is still black. You might want to call Eckelrs and find otu if it is primed or not. BECAUSE that makes a BIG....HUGE...difference. The reason being that raw urethane is very TOUCHY and needs to be prepped correctly with the correct materials and primed with the correct primers VERY QUICKLY after it has been prepped.

SO...you can not prep it and then go to lunch or wait a day or two. OR should not...because the clean surface is immediately getting contaminated....so the quicker ...the better. When I do raw urethane...I have my urethane primer in the gun waiting to go so when I finish washing it off in the special a waterborne cleaners...I take it right into the booth and dry it off and shoot it.

If it is raw urethane....DO NOT wipe it with a solvent. Urethane is VERY SOLVENT SENSITIVE.

DUB
Old 11-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Dub

It's pure black. So guessing it raw urethane.

Thanks again
John

Originally Posted by DUB
YEAH...I KNOW ALL ABOUT THOSE...Just be patient. I can not remember if they come in primed or not. If when you open up the holes you see a urethane that is more a creamy yellow-tan...then it is primed. IF the bumper is still black. You might want to call Eckelrs and find otu if it is primed or not. BECAUSE that makes a BIG....HUGE...difference. The reason being that raw urethane is very TOUCHY and needs to be prepped correctly with the correct materials and primed with the correct primers VERY QUICKLY after it has been prepped.

SO...you can not prep it and then go to lunch or wait a day or two. OR should not...because the clean surface is immediately getting contaminated....so the quicker ...the better. When I do raw urethane...I have my urethane primer in the gun waiting to go so when I finish washing it off in the special a waterborne cleaners...I take it right into the booth and dry it off and shoot it.

If it is raw urethane....DO NOT wipe it with a solvent. Urethane is VERY SOLVENT SENSITIVE.

DUB
Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dub

It's pure black. So guessing it raw urethane.

Thanks again
John
John,
DO NOT guess. It makes a difference if it has been primed in a black primer or if it is raw and un-primed. The reason being...some approved cleaners can attach the primer if it is on the bumper. Call Ecklers and verify it.

DUB
Old 12-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Great advice.. will do. Amazing how much fiddling I needed to do but I think I have it squared away.

Ecklers confirmed that they are unprimed.

Best
John
Old 12-01-2014, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Great advice.. will do. Amazing how much fiddling I needed to do but I think I have it squared away.

Ecklers confirmed that they are unprimed.

Best
John
GREAT...and yes...it is a 'balancing act' to get one to fit.

DUB
Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Dub

Need your advice please. Is sanding the edges of the new cover an option in order to get the seam correct.

I think it can be done but want to see if that the norm.

Thanks
John
Old 12-06-2014, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dub

Need your advice please. Is sanding the edges of the new cover an option in order to get the seam correct.

I think it can be done but want to see if that the norm.

Thanks
John
John,
YES...if you can VISUALLY see that the edge is not correct...then carefully sanding it is something that I do. Rarely it occurs on GM bumpers...but it still happens.

I use wet 240 grit and then wet 400 grit. I try not to get the urethane to get 'fuzzy'. I may go over it lightly with wet 500 grit.

DUB
Old 12-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dub!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks Dub!
Just take your time.

DUB
Old 12-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The GM rear bumper was a snap. The Ecklers Urethane front is the fitting challenge. But then again that's where more of the challenging lines are.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 new urethane cover

Quick Reply: 1976 new urethane cover