Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Newbie: I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Newbie: I need some advice

I am going through my 1966 coupe over the course of this winter / spring. I would like to add paint to the list of things to do. The car is currently in lacquer, with a lacquer clear coat. Should I stay with the lacquer or go to bc / cc? What will i need in the way of "environment? Any advice, suggestions etc will be appreciated!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB C5
I am going through my 1966 coupe over the course of this winter / spring. I would like to add paint to the list of things to do. The car is currently in lacquer, with a lacquer clear coat. Should I stay with the lacquer or go to bc / cc? What will i need in the way of "environment? Any advice, suggestions etc will be appreciated!
I do not know what you plan on doing with the car when it is done. Lacquer will work but it has its downfalls. And in some areas...lacquer can not be used due to environmental issues.

Basecoat/Clearcoat is what I would use....but once again...it all depends on what you plan on doing with the car..such as worried about being 'original'. If not..then BC/CC is what it best....ad using a waterborne basecoat is also a good choice but using waterborne basecoat does require special air blowers to get it to flash off.

AS for 'environment'...that you wrote about...I am assuming that you are referring to the space you plan on working. You need good air flow, moisture free area and heat may be needed....which gets tricky depending on what you are doing when using solvents.

Have you done this before??? DO you have tools to do this type of work.....do you have a good air compressor and a way to make sure the air is DRY as possible???? Are you mechanically skilled??? Do you get frustrated easily??? Are you PATIENT, DEDICATED and can stay FOCUSED and ON TASK???

Just asking because I do this.....and I am NOT writing in any way that you can not do this....but it takes a lot and is NOT as easy as some may think looking from the 'other side of the fence'.

IF you are NEW at doing this...ONE BIG TIP I can give you is to do ONE thing at a time and FOCUS on that instead of looking at all that you still have to do. TRUST ME...you will get through it faster and not beat yourself to DEATH....because IF you are jumping around doing so many other little things but not ONE of them get completed to perfection....because you are so 'jacked-up' with energy and motivated and can not stay FOCUSED and ON TASK.

Also...forget about a 'time-line' and trying to get it completed by a specific time. That can be the 'kiss of death' and then you begin settling for something less than what you initially began doing when you started.

DUB

Quick Reply: Newbie: I need some advice