Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Citristrip for C3 paint removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Citristrip for C3 paint removal?

I was wondering if Citristrip is safe for C3 paint removal? Is lacquer thinner safe for removing the last layer of primer?

Kevin
Old 12-15-2014, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
I was wondering if Citristrip is safe for C3 paint removal? Is lacquer thinner safe for removing the last layer of primer?

Kevin
I know I could use the Citristrip and NOT have any problems...but actually I use a stripper that is much stronger....and have NEVER EVER had a problem at all.

YES...I use CLEAN AUTOMOTIVE GRADE PRIMING GRADE ( NOT hardware store type) lacquer thinner and ROUGH steel wool and red scotch-brite pads to get the rest off and looking at either early press-molded polyester fiberglass panels or SMC.

AS I have asked many forum members who plan on chemically stripping their cars...if they want to, they can call me so we can talk. The reason is I am NOT typing out every possible scenario and what needs to be done. And I will write this...IF IN DOUBT....Take the TIME to do a small test spot and see what your car requires. EVERY car is different....and seeing how I do not have a crystal ball....YOU are the one who has to determine 'how' it has to come off....and the phone call will explain that in detail.

PM me if you care to talk so I can give you my number.

DUB
Old 11-15-2015, 11:41 AM
LT3
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used it exclusively on my 71 Lt1. Worked... but not as aggressive as what DUB uses. Works slower and only
Strips in stages effectively. In other words; If you have a two stage paint process it will strip the clear first. It does soften the the color coat. When I stripped my car I used this insight and also combined the razor method to remove paint in large ribbons on the flat surfaces. Also used quality lacquer thinner and #3 steel wool to clean the surface and remove the primer.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:08 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If that' s the Orange stuff from HD, it (IMO) takes FOREVER. I used it on my metal door jams and my '69 wiper door. I didn't want to use stripper this time on my 67 and 69 body panels and used ( lots of) razor blades.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2015, 04:04 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, just noticed this is an old post

Get notified of new replies

To Citristrip for C3 paint removal?

Quick Reply: Citristrip for C3 paint removal?