Door jamb crack/separation

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door jamb crack/separation

I have the same damage on both sides of the car. One side definitely had an old repair . The stress of the body being on the dolly seems to have aggravated them. I have put the body back on the frame to do other repairs as well.

I need advice on fixing these issues.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Your photo shows that the rear of the car needs to be raised up to close the gap/crack.

OPTION 1: Remove the panel and replace with a press molded part and re-bond on the panels.

OPTION 2: If you can see and get to the backside of these cracks....you will need to be able to PREP and apply your matt and resin in from the backside to give it strength. Then finish out the repair form the visual side with Vette Panel Adhesive.

OPTION 3: Make a part out of matt and resin using the damaged area as a 'mold' and then prep it and bond it in on the backside with Vette Panel Adhesive.

OPTION 4: Doing all lamination's and repair on the visual side is POSSIBLE ...but it would take some serious good prepping and lamination to make sure that you get the strength back into the part and transfer the lamination out past the crack.

DUB
Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Your photo shows that the rear of the car needs to be raised up to close the gap/crack.

OPTION 1: Remove the panel and replace with a press molded part and re-bond on the panels.

OPTION 2: If you can see and get to the backside of these cracks....you will need to be able to PREP and apply your matt and resin in from the backside to give it strength. Then finish out the repair form the visual side with Vette Panel Adhesive.

OPTION 3: Make a part out of matt and resin using the damaged area as a 'mold' and then prep it and bond it in on the backside with Vette Panel Adhesive.

OPTION 4: Doing all lamination's and repair on the visual side is POSSIBLE ...but it would take some serious good prepping and lamination to make sure that you get the strength back into the part and transfer the lamination out past the crack.

DUB
Thanks Dub!! Do you recommend that I put the doors on first with the latches and latching mechanisms to insure that everything lines and hooks up ok?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
Thanks Dub!! Do you recommend that I put the doors on first with the latches and latching mechanisms to insure that everything lines and hooks up ok?
That is a 'toss-up' You can and then again it may not matter. AND if you raise up the rear of the body to aid in closing up this gap....so that you can laminate it or what ever....DO NOT FEAR...because the body will go back down and the panel will move some.

So just because you are laminating it when the body is raised up and the crack is closed up...AND THE DOOR WILL NOT CLOSE>..I would not fear it. It will go back down....because there is NO WAY that this tiny little spot is going to keep the rear body UP.

DUB
Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 AM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
That is a 'toss-up' You can and then again it may not matter. AND if you raise up the rear of the body to aid in closing up this gap....so that you can laminate it or what ever....DO NOT FEAR...because the body will go back down and the panel will move some.

So just because you are laminating it when the body is raised up and the crack is closed up...AND THE DOOR WILL NOT CLOSE>..I would not fear it. It will go back down....because there is NO WAY that this tiny little spot is going to keep the rear body UP.

DUB
Well I went the route of Option 3. I used some of the wax sheets I bought and made a template from the outside. I made a fiberglass piece, trimmed it and roughed it up. I then filled it full of VPA and used it to bind the two pieces together. I used ratchet tiedowns to pull the pieces into the right position. Worked like a charm.

Thanks DUB!!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:52 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
Well I went the route of Option 3. I used some of the wax sheets I bought and made a template from the outside. I made a fiberglass piece, trimmed it and roughed it up. I then filled it full of VPA and used it to bind the two pieces together. I used ratchet tiedowns to pull the pieces into the right position. Worked like a charm.

Thanks DUB!!!!
GLAD to read that it worked out and you are happy with the results. That is just awesome!

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Door jamb crack/separation

Quick Reply: Door jamb crack/separation