Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C5 Crack in front fascia w/ picture..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM
floridacrack3r
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Crack in front fascia w/ picture..

The crack is about an inch long going vertical up and stops at the driver side running light. My question is what is the best approach to repair this in order to save the facsia?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The cover needs to come off so you can get to the backside and do as much of the repair with the repair adhesives and structure tape to get it solid again.

I will write this....I HATE doing urethane bumper repairs...even though I do them....and it is because they are so TOUCHY and have to be treated properly in the prep stage...wiping the correct cleaners on them that are NOT a solvent base....because the urethane can SWELL due to solvents touching it....and then the specific primers and also the flex additives for the sprayable products being applied.

This usually 'scares' people from wanting to do it....but I can tell you...that taking it to a body shop....the chance are really great that the bodyman/painter will NOT do it correctly...and skip a step or two to make some $$$ and save time....which is MONEY....BECAUSE like I hear form numerous guys I know in my area in the business...their way if thinking is... 'Why do it right...because if it gets hit...the bumper cover will more than likely will need to be replaced anyway".

And some people who bring their Corvette by my shop that have a small impact like yours...but the other 'thing' is the paint is peeling off in sheets....(due to an improper repair previously by SOMEONE)...and I am looking at SHINY...UN-PREPPED paint under what is flaking/peeling off in sheets. SO MUCH for 'their way' of thinking.

WATCH OUT for the two clips that are installed on the fender....where the bumper cover attaches to the fender.... between the hood and the headlight housing.....this narrow section is TOUCHY and these clips can break....so BE AWARE.

OR...maybe someone will give you 'their take' on this....because I was assuming you want it RIGHT....and not looking for the fastest way to patch it up so it looks good 100 feet away.

DUB

Quick Reply: C5 Crack in front fascia w/ picture..