Evercoat One Step Gelkote or with PVA

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:48 PM
PierreOlivier
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evercoat One Step Gelkote or with PVA

I have searched and searched and I can't find a recommendation on whether to use the Evercoat One Step Gelkote vs the one you have to spray PVA on.

I am close to start gelcoating some pieces like the decklid (on my 65) and wasn't sure which one to buy. I am really happy with Evercoat's products but wouldn't be against getting Eckler's.

Opinions?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreOlivier
I have searched and searched and I can't find a recommendation on whether to use the Evercoat One Step Gelkote vs the one you have to spray PVA on.

I am close to start gelcoating some pieces like the decklid (on my 65) and wasn't sure which one to buy. I am really happy with Evercoat's products but wouldn't be against getting Eckler's.

Opinions?
I have an issue with the wax being put in the gelcoat that will come to the surface. To mean it seems like a 'cop-out' because a person is so lazy that they can not clean out a paint gun and carefully apply the PVA correctly and take the WAX issue OUT OF THE EQUATION all together. If the wax is not there ...then you do not have to worry about wax...right????

Have tor remember...gelcoat is for fiberglass...and just because some Corvettes are polyester fiberglass does not mean that this type of gelcoat is correct....because if you were making storage compartments out of fiberglass for the outside and they would NOT need to be painted due to the color of gelcoat would be fine....then the wax would not be an issue and you could use it with great confidence.

I know people have used it with success (so they have written)...but I prefer not to have to worry about it. I have enough other things that command my brain.

DUB

Quick Reply: Evercoat One Step Gelkote or with PVA