Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hopefully this time it will work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 04:13 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Default Hopefully this time it will work.

I molded in my bumpers on my 80 with flex bumpers. I have 2 other threads on this subject already, but this time I hope I got it covered. There is one 6 inch piece on the front bumper that shrinks with the weather change, it will show as a ripple in the bumper. It annoys the hell out of me. And there is one in the rear bumper on the drivers side about 4 inches long.
Well as I said in the other threads I have tried both style resins and it has happened with both. Well this time I ground out the whole area and just laid down some new fiberglass on it. Now I have a heat lamp on it. I am hoping the lamp will harden it so it won't shrink when the weather changes. I am going to let it sit for a month before I spray the nose to make sure it is working.
If this don't work I'll sell the car. Or at least rip the bumpers off and put them on unmolded in.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

OR rip off the flex-bumpers and bond on rigid fiberglass bumpers...AFTER you go in on them and add more mat and resin to get them stronger and more rigid.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you....and I will not comment any further because I have already expressed my views on this in the past.

DUB
Old 03-20-2015, 06:28 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
OR rip off the flex-bumpers and bond on rigid fiberglass bumpers...AFTER you go in on them and add more mat and resin to get them stronger and more rigid.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you....and I will not comment any further because I have already expressed my views on this in the past.

DUB

Are you the same DUB from the SPI forums.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Are you the same DUB from the SPI forums.
Never been on the SPI forum. Only the Corvette Forum

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hopefully this time it will work.

Quick Reply: Hopefully this time it will work.