Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Neutralizing Sodium bicarbonate? (Soda blasting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutralizing Sodium bicarbonate? (Soda blasting)

Hello, I've read a few comments warning about not using Soda Blasting as a means to strip a Corvette. Other comments stating it's fine, as long as it it properly "neutralized". Older posts state that some body shops will not touch a car that has been soda blasted....
I have a '59 scheduled for soda blasting. It will be done at my home with tarps surrounding the blasting area. The technician stated that he will use a water adapter to keep down most of the dust. I've heard that good scrubbing with soap and water is the best way to neutralize it? I'm guessing a dish soap like "Dawn" would be ok? I would then pressure wash it with clean water (no direct high pressure stream).
Anyone have any experience or recommendations different than what I described? Anyone see any issues with what I described? Thanks a bunch, Ed
Old 04-23-2015, 12:45 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i'm one of them. i will not touch a vette that has been soda blasted period .
Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by porchdog
i'm one of them. i will not touch a vette that has been soda blasted period .
Hi porchdog, thank you. Apologies for my ignorance. But can you explain what the consequences are, and why you would not touch a vette that has been soda blasted? I'm guessing that you have had a bad experience which leads you to your stance? Does the soda have a bad chemical reaction to epoxy, gelcoat, or all sprayed materials if residue is present? Does it rear it's ugly head down the road, or is it fairly immediate? How is it that guys are getting away with using soda blasting? Is there a process which can mitigate the issues associated with it?
Sorry for the 20 questions, but I do not want to make a huge mistake and am curious as to what your concerns are.
Thanks ,Ed
Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
porchdog
Drifting

soda leaves a residue. it will soak into the fiberglass when cleaned. if it were 100% removed it would be ok but i will not risk it period. there is no reason to with all the alternatives to it. your car , your call. but if you do go this route do not expect the painter to stand behind it. soda was never intended for automotive restoration work regardless what the blasters tell you . also dont believe for a second that soda will not harm the glass . it has a moh scale of 2.5 . it will destroy a glass surface .
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2015, 02:12 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

soda leaves a residue. it will soak into the fiberglass when cleaned. if it were 100% removed it would be ok but i will not risk it period. there is no reason to with all the alternatives to it. your car , your call. but if you do go this route do not expect the painter to stand behind it. soda was never intended for automotive restoration work regardless what the blasters tell you . also dont believe for a second that soda will not harm the glass . it has a moh scale of 2.5 . it will destroy a glass surface .
Holy Crap! Soda did that? Man, that is awful! I've been told by the dustless blaster guys (Water/crushed glass) that Soda was the least aggressive means to media blast fiberglass.... that picture looks like the car was blasted with beach sand! And that's a car with gelcoat? Yikes!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM
porchdog
Drifting

yes this was sodablasted . the blasters for the most part have no idea. my supplier sells the trailer setups like hotcakes . he said most are people taking early retirement and buy the rig and go out to save the world.
anything that can shatter paint can destroy fiberglass in the wrong hands. before you let them loose on your car make them sign an agreement to take responsibility for damage. they will turn and walk away .
Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

yes this was sodablasted . the blasters for the most part have no idea. my supplier sells the trailer setups like hotcakes . he said most are people taking early retirement and buy the rig and go out to save the world.
anything that can shatter paint can destroy fiberglass in the wrong hands. before you let them loose on your car make them sign an agreement to take responsibility for damage. they will turn and walk away .
Thanks! Found a great article on this from Super Chevy... Describes the benefits and pitfalls/dangers.... With regard to residue, the article calls out a product called "holdtight 102".... interesting.....
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...soda-blasting/
Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM
porchdog
Drifting

good luck . not in my shop . paint mfg will void warranty if soda is used.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have had fiberglass parts blasted with soda and water...and it damn near ruined the part. NEVER do that again.

I have only had one part blasted with soda DRY...and I agree with 'porchdog'....I will not touch a Corvette that has been blasted with soda. Their are a number of other medias that will work. I prefer to use chemical...and for 30 years....I have never had a problem with it at all. But it is process that most choose not to do. Which is fine.

DUB
Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 AM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
I have had fiberglass parts blasted with soda and water...and it damn near ruined the part. NEVER do that again.

I have only had one part blasted with soda DRY...and I agree with 'porchdog'....I will not touch a Corvette that has been blasted with soda. Their are a number of other medias that will work. I prefer to use chemical...and for 30 years....I have never had a problem with it at all. But it is process that most choose not to do. Which is fine.

DUB
Thank you Dub. I'm now trying to find anyone in the Salt Lake area who does plastic bead blasting or dry ice blasting.. I've not heard anything bad about those techniques yet. If I had the time, I would consider chemical stripping, as it is the most cost effective for sure. That is the way I did my '68 Camaro back in the day... the issue is that car took me ove 20 years to restore Hoping to get this one done inside of 2 years... working full time makes that an aggressive target. Thank you and Porchdog for your valuable insight! It is greatly appreciated!!-Ed
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck with your search Ed. Glad you looked into this. I had my 68 blasted and the guy used a walnut shell media. I'm very happy with the outcome. I also did a lot of "interviews" personally qualifying the people that would be doing the blasting. I was very fortunate to find a guy locally who had experience with fiberglass and knew exactly what he was talking about. He did a great job.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
porchdog
Drifting

corn cob and walnut are about all i use. even my plastic is a little rough. but anything that can cut paint will cut glass.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:04 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks fellas, I ended up finding an experienced blaster who does plastic beads. He's done a few C1's and understands the issues with being too aggressive. Thanks all for your input in helping me change the course of the ship! One of the many reasons I joined the forum. Hopefully one day as my experience grows with Corvettes, I'll be able to contribute my assistance. Thanks again, Ed
Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 PM
porchdog
Drifting

may not be an issue but on several c1 and even c2's that have sat stripped or in primer there can be degraded rsin. no matter how careful if you hit these areas it comes off. better to get rid of it in the beginning . i did a 56 that looked harrible after blasting but it was not the media. car had sat outside for years with just lacquer primer on it . good luck with it .
Old 04-24-2015, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

jedjr59restomd,

The photos of your Camaro take me back to the days If the ISCA circuit and showing cars. Oh...the 'good ol days'.

For me...because I am so picky....I chemically strip. I will blast tight areas that chemically strippoing is too hard to do. BUT...much like what 'porchdog' stated. I have had Corvettes media blasted with the plastic beads and walnut shells...and form what I have experienced...there are certain areas that I much rather that they do not try to blast...because the vortex of air actually cases the media do more damage trying to get all the paint off than if they left it and I chemically stripped that area myself.

DUB
Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM
porchdog
Drifting

even though my blast rig is 185 cfm when doing a vette i blast at 25-30 lbs of air and very little media. slow going but more control . if possible i stop with a slight layer of primer left .
Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

"You've chosen wisely" (My $.02) The Camaro looks great!

Get notified of new replies

To Neutralizing Sodium bicarbonate? (Soda blasting)

Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 AM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

may not be an issue but on several c1 and even c2's that have sat stripped or in primer there can be degraded rsin. no matter how careful if you hit these areas it comes off. better to get rid of it in the beginning . i did a 56 that looked harrible after blasting but it was not the media. car had sat outside for years with just lacquer primer on it . good luck with it .
Thanks Porchdog, I think I'm going to hang around when he starts it and let him know what I think is "far enough".... the topside exterior body is my biggest concern of course... Thanks again for the lesson and advice! -Ed
Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 AM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
jedjr59restomd,

The photos of your Camaro take me back to the days If the ISCA circuit and showing cars. Oh...the 'good ol days'.

For me...because I am so picky....I chemically strip. I will blast tight areas that chemically strippoing is too hard to do. BUT...much like what 'porchdog' stated. I have had Corvettes media blasted with the plastic beads and walnut shells...and form what I have experienced...there are certain areas that I much rather that they do not try to blast...because the vortex of air actually cases the media do more damage trying to get all the paint off than if they left it and I chemically stripped that area myself.

DUB
Thanks Dub, what areas are you most concerned with? That would be good to tell the blast guy to be gentle with.
Yeah, as far as showing the car... it was alot of fun! Did not do Autorama this year, as I think people seeing the same cars gets old.. Maybe next year though. Hopefully will have this Vette in there in a few years... Excited about custom work on this one... my camaro was a "restoration" where I did my best to make it look when it came off of the Chevrolet showroom floor. It took second in its class behind an unbelievable Mustang restoration... However, it got Best Camaro at Utah's second largest show (750 cars) last May. I absolutely love the hobby, and share it with my father. Actually talked him into putting his 65 Thunderbird Laundau in the show this year... thought that would never happen... Memories being made..... -Ed
Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 AM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
"You've chosen wisely" (My $.02) The Camaro looks great!
Dave, thanks for steering me to the right site. These guys have taught me alot, and am looking forward to some more learnin from them! Thanks for the kudos on the camaro as well... my uncles original car... he bought it when it was a year old... remember riding around in it as a young kid, and being totally awestruck by the sound of that BB...
Thanks again, Ed

Quick Reply: Neutralizing Sodium bicarbonate? (Soda blasting)