Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Attn Dub.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 PM
DonBond
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Attn Dub.......

Have been lurking for a long time but not logged in. I have a gorgeous top notch 64 Daytona blue with a solid lifter 365hp that is almost perfect EXCEPT that my rear deck sticks up above the "trunk area" about 5/8's of an inch. It can not be adjusted out, period. The only possible solutions are to A: try a different deck lid or B: cut my existing deck clean thru the middle and re glass at the proper elevation. Have you any experience with this? It must be fixed as the fit and finish of the rest of the car is perfect. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by DonBond
Have been lurking for a long time but not logged in. I have a gorgeous top notch 64 Daytona blue with a solid lifter 365hp that is almost perfect EXCEPT that my rear deck sticks up above the "trunk area" about 5/8's of an inch. It can not be adjusted out, period. The only possible solutions are to A: try a different deck lid or B: cut my existing deck clean thru the middle and re glass at the proper elevation. Have you any experience with this? It must be fixed as the fit and finish of the rest of the car is perfect. Thanks in advance.
YES...I am aware of this type of 'problem' that can occur.

It would be a GREAT HELP if I can see what you see. Posting a good photo or two would do wonders in what possible direction the repair may take.....even though we all know there may be several options to the repair....I would be trying to do the one that would provide the BEST result.

Also...PLEASE take the photo a short distance away from the problem area so I can see the full picture.

And I would pretty much guess...and be correct....that when the deck is closed....the deck fits great along the quarter panels and is good right at where the hinges are located....and THEN the deck begins to raise up in between the hinges.....am I CORRECT???

DUB
Old 05-13-2015, 08:47 PM
DonBond
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...I am aware of this type of 'problem' that can occur.

It would be a GREAT HELP if I can see what you see. Posting a good photo or two would do wonders in what possible direction the repair may take.....even though we all know there may be several options to the repair....I would be trying to do the one that would provide the BEST result.

Also...PLEASE take the photo a short distance away from the problem area so I can see the full picture.

And I would pretty much guess...and be correct....that when the deck is closed....the deck fits great along the quarter panels and is good right at where the hinges are located....and THEN the deck begins to raise up in between the hinges.....am I CORRECT???

DUB
Actually, the hinge area and outboard of the hinge area is a little lower than the surrounding "trunk area." This indicates that the deck lid is sprung into an arch shape with the high point being in the center. If i were to shim the hinge area of the deck level with the trunk the center of the deck would be even higher than it is now. I do not know if the problem lies with the deck or a sinking of the adjacent trunk. I understand your need for pics but I wont be able to do that for quite some time as I'm a pilot and am hardly ever home. I hope my description paints an accurate picture of the problem for you. My thought is to slice the entire deck cleanly through the middle, jig it to the desired height and then re-glass the thing....OR....try a different deck but that seems rather risky. Thanks for you attention......Don
Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by DonBond
Actually, the hinge area and outboard of the hinge area is a little lower than the surrounding "trunk area." This indicates that the deck lid is sprung into an arch shape with the high point being in the center. If i were to shim the hinge area of the deck level with the trunk the center of the deck would be even higher than it is now. I do not know if the problem lies with the deck or a sinking of the adjacent trunk. I understand your need for pics but I wont be able to do that for quite some time as I'm a pilot and am hardly ever home. I hope my description paints an accurate picture of the problem for you. My thought is to slice the entire deck cleanly through the middle, jig it to the desired height and then re-glass the thing....OR....try a different deck but that seems rather risky. Thanks for you attention......Don
I have another option versus slicing the deck lid in half and HOPING that it gets laminated back correctly.

When you get back to the car...then you can PM me and I will give you my shop phone number so when you are at the car...we can talk on what to do and check...because after I get some more information from you....there is a chance that this can be corrected without doing and body work...so-to-speak.

YES...the deck lid is fatigued.....because if you pull out the deck lid weatherstrip....I BET the condition lessens GREATLY.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Attn Dub.......

Quick Reply: Attn Dub.......