Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Bonding clip

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:00 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Bonding clip

I have everything prepped and I'm ready to bond my rear clip on a 71 coupe. I'm using VPA, should I "butter" both sides of the bonding seams or just one?

Kevin
Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
I have everything prepped and I'm ready to bond my rear clip on a 71 coupe. I'm using VPA, should I "butter" both sides of the bonding seams or just one?

Kevin
Kevin,
Assuming that you have figured out how much hardener to use to give you good working time....I would...just to be safe.....even if it is a thin layer. I apply some on both surfaces. I will favor one bonding area more than the other. So...any bonding flanges that are horizontal and on the car itself...that is where I would give some more build...and not put so much on the panel that will be set onto it...so it does not drip off.

Not knowing your temperatures...I would make sure that you have already worked out your mounting/clamping sequence and TIMED yourself. Doing this sorta thing in winter is one thing...doing it when the air temps are close to or above ambient air temps (70-85F)...is another thing entirely. Which is why you really need to know how much hardener to use.....because if you follow the directions on the car...the VPA can rock up before you get it all set. Not wanting to make you paranoid...just AWARE.

DUB

Quick Reply: Bonding clip