Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Opinion on Front Bumper Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Opinion on Front Bumper Cover

89 Coupe got tagged by a hit and runner in a parking lot (witnesses, vehicle description and tag number) Friday night.

I believe only the guys back tire did the damage. Any opinion on how best to tackle this? I think it can just be unbolted and realigned but I'm no body man. The lower part below the trim is also knocked out of alignment too but the other side appears to still be straight so it didn't transfer all the way across.

Rick
Attached Images    
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I WISH you did not take photos of this when it was wet with water droplets all over. Water droplets HIDE damage.

The front cover has to come completely off in order to replace the front molding.
I do not know if the back rubber will compound off and not require painting.

Damaged parts can be hidden and on the inside of the bumper cover.

DUB
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info, I wish it hadn't been raining when I took the pic.

I know some of the tire black can be buffed off but there's deep scratches in the cover and hood that can't. I'm more worried about getting the cover realigned back where it's supposed to be, the painting can wait a little while.

The more I look at it the more I'm thinking this is a job best left to the pros. Sure hope FHP has tracked this guy down so he can foot the bill. Multiple witnesses, description and tag number should ease their job but I still haven't heard from them.

Rick
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am worried about fine stress cracks in the hood.

There is an aluminum support retainer behind the bumper cover in that corner...and it can bend and be quite fun in straightening out...if not replacing it. If you plan on doing any adjustments..I would use the heat of the sun to warm up this corner while doing any adjustments.....it will aid in the urethane being a bit easier to adjust.

DUB
Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Got an estimate for $250 to remove and realign the cover, I think I'm going that route.

Called the FHP yesterday to see if they have any info for me, got the usual "we'll get back with you". Taxpayer money hard at work.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on Front Bumper Cover

Quick Reply: Opinion on Front Bumper Cover