Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Dub & any other hood experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:35 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dub & any other hood experts

I just made some modifications to the Daytona hood on my 74. Leave it to me to modify a non-standard part.
It is a hand laid part, but is decent quality - I have had it for 30+ years.

Now that I finished the changes, I am thinking about cleaning up/smoothing out the underside. It really is not that bad for a hand laid.

My question is about the edge around the support frame - especially along the out side edge where it transitions to the skin. It is a pretty narrow area. Should I smooth/fill this in? If so what material/s do you recommend? I was thinking VPA, or should I laminate? Or am I just asking for trouble?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
I just made some modifications to the Daytona hood on my 74. Leave it to me to modify a non-standard part.
It is a hand laid part, but is decent quality - I have had it for 30+ years.

Now that I finished the changes, I am thinking about cleaning up/smoothing out the underside. It really is not that bad for a hand laid.

My question is about the edge around the support frame - especially along the out side edge where it transitions to the skin. It is a pretty narrow area. Should I smooth/fill this in? If so what material/s do you recommend? I was thinking VPA, or should I laminate? Or am I just asking for trouble?
You should know by now to post a good photo(s) so any recommendation can be attached to something that we can see.

I have an idea of what you are referring to....but I take no chances.

IF it is the visible seam...that is on the underside of the hood.....where the OUTER SKIN is BONDED tot eh UNDERSTRUCTURE...and you have a GAP there....YES....(depending on how bad it actuality is)...I would thoroughly prep this gap and fill it with VPA. BUT...once again...I am not seeing what you actually have going on.....SO....I reserve the right to not 100% confirm this unless I see good photos.

WHY???? Because I have seen some aftermarket hoods where this area was quite messed up and the flange of the hood was so wide and the under structure was so far below it that using VPA ALL BY ITSELF is something I would NOT do....due to being about 3/8" deep. I would still use the VPA...but I would incorporate some other material to give the VPA some structure.

AND WHY would I do this if I would apply VPA well over 3/8" thick in other places.....BECAUSE the hood moves and flexes and will be used...versus other areas of the car that may require the VPA being that thick are rigid and NOT moving.

I will tell you this...not knowing if you are into it....but I filled in the underside of a 1969 L-88 aftermarket hand laid hood with VPA and blocked it out. It took me some time and I am glad I did it. Because one thing I can not stand is to have an impressive hood and raise it and see the texture of hand laid fiberglass. This L-88 hood has been semi-gloss blacked out and slick. it literally can be wiped with cotton and not leave a strand. And YES...the underside was also polyester primed to aid in filling and getting the 'flow' of the panel correct.

DUB
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I think filling in the outer seam looks really good... but my opinion is biased!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 13611
I think filling in the outer seam looks really good... but my opinion is biased!

I do it on the cars that are not being judged....so someone does not have an implosion of the brain if they see something that is not 'factory'.

Doing this on factory panels is quite easy and often times not a big deal to get like what you have in your photo....which I have to 'say'...LOOKS DARN GOOD!.

But on the aftermarket panels....depending on who made it.....the amount of filler might be 'borderline' excessive....only because I have seen some really bad hood under structures.

Once again....the photo of your hoofd looks REALLY GOOD!

DUB
Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies.
Here is a shot of the worst area - the rear corners.
The gap along the windshield edge (bottom of photo) is ~3/8" wide and ~3/8" deep. The windshield edge could be trimmed down a bit to lessen the depth. I guess the average depth around the rest of the hood is probably half that depth.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the compliment DUB!!! Coming from a professional such as yourself, that means a lot to me!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

First off...THANKS for the photo's and description.

I would NOT grind down the edge so the depth is lessened. The wider the edge of the outer skin is...the better for strength.

Obviously you have to make sure the slick portion of the understructure is prepped so the VPA will stick well....this includes the gap and pouter hood skin also.
In the area where you have about 3/8" deep area to fill in. I would take some fiberglass mat and get some strands of fiberglass out of it....much like if you were to bundle up some drinking straws. Then I would apply some VPA down in the deepest part of the gap..and then put this bundle of fiberglass strands into and then work more VPA over it WELL. This mat take some time...and you will do small areas at a time so your VPA does not set-up on you....

....OR...

Take the bundle of fiberglass strands you have and get then saturated with VPA...and with a little of VPA down in the gap so you know it is wet...put this bundle down in the gap and finish filling it in.

Then grind or sand down what you applied BEFORE it totally rocks up....OR you will REGRET IT!!!...and do some more.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
74modified (10-13-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 13611
Thanks for the compliment DUB!!! Coming from a professional such as yourself, that means a lot to me!
SERIOUSLY

I looked at you photo and I am impressed....I KNOW the TIME you spent on this....because I can see how the understructure ( in the inside parameter) has been filled in and sanded and is PERFECT. Not 'saying' that the outer seam is NOT AS GOOD...it is PERFECT also.

If you worked for me and I came by and inspected it....you would not only get a pat on the back....but '2 thumbs up'...and a "HELL YEAH----THAT'S what I'm talking about" comment.

You should be proud of that...I KNOW I would.

DUB
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

DUB: Thanks for the info, I appreciate your opinion.

13611: That is some nice work. I hope mine will end up at least half as nice as yours.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:12 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

13611, your hood is a piece of art. Very inspiring!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 74modified
DUB: Thanks for the info, I appreciate your opinion.

13611: That is some nice work. I hope mine will end up at least half as nice as yours.
Your can turn out just nice as '13611's' hood...all it takes it TIME and EFFORT. A lot of both.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Dub & any other hood experts

Quick Reply: Dub & any other hood experts