1969 Front clip replacement dash alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:15 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 1960 Front clip replacement dash alignment

I started this thread in the C1 Forum but it has been suggested that I may get better responses here.

In summary, I replaced the full front clip on my 60 C1 but used the old inner guards and had the remainder of the body on the chassis for alignment and fitment of the new clip. I believe I have an mismatch fitment issue where the top section of the dash (part of the front clip) meets the lower part of the dash (hand-grab section) on the right side of the dash.

Below is the original link and some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590027838

Responses and opinions welcome.

Regards
Mick

Last edited by mickatbp; 07-12-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Mistake in title
Old 07-12-2015, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Mick,
IF you are attempting to install and bond the front clip on...AND...the car is NOT on the ground...meaning with TIRES are aired up and all that. IF the frame is being supported by jack stands. Where these stands are positioned/located can cause a problem. SO...this is why ANYTIME I am bonding parts back on...the car MUST be on the ground with tires on it aired up accordingly.....and IF it can not be ( which I make every attempt for it to be able to be on the ground)....then the jack stands MUST be placed under the outer most point of the suspension so it can settle and 'act' or 'think' that it has wheels and tires on it TRUST ME...it CAN make a difference.

Your photo has to be very specific...which I can not see the issue clearly...showing EXACTLY where your problem is...even if you have to use a 'pointer' to show the issue.

I have so many questions to ask you...I wish we could talk versus type it all out.

Let me know first if the car is on the suspension WITH wheels and tires or not.

ALSO..change your description if the post...you wrote "1969" instead of 1960

DUB
Old 07-12-2015, 06:59 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Mick,
IF you are attempting to install and bond the front clip on...AND...the car is NOT on the ground...meaning with TIRES are aired up and all that. IF the frame is being supported by jack stands. Where these stands are positioned/located can cause a problem. SO...this is why ANYTIME I am bonding parts back on...the car MUST be on the ground with tires on it aired up accordingly.....and IF it can not be ( which I make every attempt for it to be able to be on the ground)....then the jack stands MUST be placed under the outer most point of the suspension so it can settle and 'act' or 'think' that it has wheels and tires on it TRUST ME...it CAN make a difference.

Your photo has to be very specific...which I can not see the issue clearly...showing EXACTLY where your problem is...even if you have to use a 'pointer' to show the issue.

I have so many questions to ask you...I wish we could talk versus type it all out.

Let me know first if the car is on the suspension WITH wheels and tires or not.

ALSO..change your description if the post...you wrote "1969" instead of 1960

DUB
Thanks Dub, Description changed ... fat fingers.

I was very careful to ensure weight was on wheels and pushed the chassis with body around a bit to help the suspension settle also measured at all suspension points to ensure LH and RH front and rear was at the same height. Once this was established as being the same I checked the a spirit level first the slab on which the chassis was sitting and then some LH / RH datum points to confirm same (if the slab had of been off I wouldn't have used the spirit level).

Then fitted the inner guards and did some more measuring to ensure the LH and RH were of te same height once bolted to the radiator support. Applied the bonding adhesive / resin mix to the bonding surfaces fitted the clip and used the front parker light holes to check heights again (one side was a bit low - less than a 1/8th of an inch so raised this side until equal measurements were attained), also measured from the B-Pillar top to the front of the head light surround on each side to ensure clip wasn't skewed to one side ... all good and also from the A-Pillar all good, even checked from the tail light opening ... all good.

Put the spirit level over the top of the clip at various places and did some slab up measurement checks and all good. Fitted the bonnet ... all good.

The drivers side dash area holes at the mating faces aligned well as did the very outer edge of the right side where the door closes, it is just that curved area behind where the grab bars sits that the new clip seemed to be tucked further under the mating surface than the original (by about 1/4 inch). Original gut feeling was to grind off this lip but I don't think this is a smart move.

I'll alter a photo in paint to show exactly where the problem lies.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

So if I get this right...the car is on the ground...with wheels and tires on it...correct???

I will wait on the photos showing the problem.

DUB
Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

dash alignment.docx

I'm thinking that I'll need to brake the bond in the section, reapply some adhesive and possibly push the new clip up at this misalignment point until the two surfaces are aligned.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by mickatbp
Attachment 47899813

I'm thinking that I'll need to brake the bond in the section, reapply some adhesive and possibly push the new clip up at this misalignment point until the two surfaces are aligned.
Anyway to post a photo...can not open what you have given.

DUB
Old 07-12-2015, 07:32 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
So if I get this right...the car is on the ground...with wheels and tires on it...correct???

I will wait on the photos showing the problem.

DUB
Yep, I followed all the instructions and suggestions from the forum on how to fit the front clip, I even used a slow cure bonding adhesive to allow me time to adjust .... I guess I was so concerned with the overall alignment that I missed the dash misalignment.

And even though the photos show the body on the rotisserie it sat on the chassis for over a week (possibly two) to allow the adhesive to cure completely.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Bump
Old 07-15-2015, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Did not know if you are going to post better photos so I can see what you are talking about. The photos in the other post are hard for me to understand the issue and see the problem. hard to see a side profile if that is what the issue is.

DUB
Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry DUB, there is an attached document in the post from 07-13-2015, 09:22 AM .... it is a word doc with two photos pasted on it and some arrows and text to explain what I believe is the problem.

Hopefully you can open the file other wise I'll use a different format.

I changed the title as you suggested but it still states '69' when I view it .... what do you see?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Can not open this file....

DUB
Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

okay
Old 07-18-2015, 06:07 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Name:  Dash 1.png
Views: 183
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  Dash 2.png
Views: 233
Size:  1.65 MB
Old 07-19-2015, 07:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Have you attempted to fit the parts that go in this area. I see your description...but does it matter????

It will need to be heated up and separated and then raised in the section where it is low.

What does "proud' mean over there???? UP/DOWN/OUT/WIDE...????

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Front clip replacement dash alignment

Quick Reply: 1969 Front clip replacement dash alignment