Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Looking for a primer recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by sullyman56
I sanded the entire body with 180 previously since it is new fiberglass. I should have mentioned that before. I was asking about sanding after spraying the primer. Do you recommend spraying the epoxy and then polyester primer? If that's the case I'll be buying some of each instead of just the epoxy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that I would have to sand the primer to prepare for painting. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. Just want to make sure I do it right.
Yes...you will need to sand the primer before you paint the car...but you need to talk with SEM.

Once you do talk with SEM and figure out what you CAN and CAN NOT do with their primer...that will then dictate to you what you need to do next or buy.

AS I wrote before....I use a different epoxy primer that is not thick....and I can shoot the epoxy on and then go to the polyester primer WITHOUT having to same the epoxy.

You know I am trying to help.... but please...no more questions. Because you need to talk with SEM and find out how this epoxy works and what it can do for you. Then...if they can not answer a question for you...ask it here. But they should be able to answer all questions you are asking.

DUB
Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Sorry about all the questions, but this is new to me and I want to make sure I do it right. I've got a lot of money invested in this car already and I hate to screw it up. I'll talk with the SEM tech guys when I place my order and at least now I have an idea of what to ask and what I think I can expect from their product line. Like people say, there are no stupid questions and I'm sure you know the rest. Thanks for your help thus far.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

while i do use a lot of sem products the epoxy does not look good to me.
first off it has a very short pot life much like polyester. also not sure i like having a sticky residue layer which is also much like polyester.
i use spi epoxy which has a 72 hr pot life at 70 covered and a 7 day recoat window at 70 . it sands really well and can be used as a high build.
i would try to find a painter who uses the sem and talk with him. getting info from a paint saleman is really not a good way to go imo .
good luck with it .
Old 08-22-2015, 05:03 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

I know a good painter and I'll speak to him as to what primer he uses. Thanks
Old 08-22-2015, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Sorry about all the questions, but this is new to me and I want to make sure I do it right. I've got a lot of money invested in this car already and I hate to screw it up. I'll talk with the SEM tech guys when I place my order and at least now I have an idea of what to ask and what I think I can expect from their product line. Like people say, there are no stupid questions and I'm sure you know the rest. Thanks for your help thus far.
I have no problems about you asking questions....BUT.....when you have not talked with SEM...these questions could be answered by SEM tech reps I agree...there are no such thing as 'stupid questions'....BUT...answering a question that is better suited for a companies tech dept...it is often times best to let them answer any scenario you may think of.

I understand that this is 'new' to you. AND I APPLAUD you for asking for help and asking questions. SERIOUSLY---I DO!

So...using the information that 'porchdog' has offered.....and possibly finding out what the guy you know knows and coming back and letting us know what was discussed....would be wise.

DUB
Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:42 AM
syco_cop
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I find out.
Any updates?

Quick Reply: Looking for a primer recommendation