Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

fiberglass front bumper advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:38 PM
sosugrad
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default fiberglass front bumper advice

Looking for advice on installing the front fiberglass bumper on a 74. My goal is to glass it on so there is no seam. I have the body off right now and have completed all the bodywork before primer, I have become pretty decent at doing the fiberglass work so feel comfortable tackling this. Anyone that has done this, either front or rear bumper would appreciate the support
Old 09-07-2015, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by sosugrad
Looking for advice on installing the front fiberglass bumper on a 74. My goal is to glass it on so there is no seam. I have the body off right now and have completed all the bodywork before primer, I have become pretty decent at doing the fiberglass work so feel comfortable tackling this. Anyone that has done this, either front or rear bumper would appreciate the support
Sorry no support...just a few comments and a warning.

YES I HAVE. AND I will NEVER bond a front or rear bumper cover on again so that the seam is no seen. Given time...the seam will show up..especially if you are looking for it....and I KNOW what I am doing.

The rear bumper I do not do any longer so service work can be performed because sometimes removing the rear bumper cover is a great help to access fuel system hoses. Obviously..this is your car...your choice.

The front is because it is impact prone...and due to how the bumper mates with the body...attempting to grind in a channel that you can laminate will often times weaken the part or body....and if you don't do that...the seam will show.

IF you plan on doing this...I would HIGHLY advise you to begin the process laminating in more fiberglass and resin in the bumper cover NOW....to get it thicker and have more 'body' to it.

I know for a fact that the bumper is NOT as thick and stout as the factory panel...so it WILL contract and expand differently than the factory panel.

If you do this.... I WISH you the BEST of LUCK!

And be for warned....everything can look GREAT...and then...lines can begin to appear. I honestly hope that this does NOT happen to you....but...for the MANY that I have done....ESPECIALLY front bumpers. When the car comes back in for service work several months or a year later....I can see areas that are showing themselves. AND that was even using infra-red heaters to cook the lamination...and they still show up in time......especially these car that are daily driven...and not a museum piece.

DUB
Old 09-07-2015, 06:55 PM
sosugrad
Advanced

Default front bumper

Thanks DUB, I have read several of your replies concerning this topic over the years. After some deep thinking last night I went out today and did some sanding on the new bumper, looks like it will align with a very tight seam all the way around. So I will pass on glassing in the bumper. BTW, your and porchdog posts are the reason I have been able to completely strip this car, repair all the seams and bodywork. Almost time for primer, thanks for the help
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by sosugrad
Thanks DUB, I have read several of your replies concerning this topic over the years. After some deep thinking last night I went out today and did some sanding on the new bumper, looks like it will align with a very tight seam all the way around. So I will pass on glassing in the bumper. BTW, your and porchdog posts are the reason I have been able to completely strip this car, repair all the seams and bodywork. Almost time for primer, thanks for the help
Obviously it was your choice. I do not think you will regret it.

But...I will offer you this. if...when you go and install this front bumper...and you are REALLY wanting to get the seam SUPER tight and clean.....PM me....and I will get you my shop phone number and I can walk you through how I get these fiberglass bumpers to fit like a glove and the seam is prefect.

YES...it is a slight pain...but ...if you want it right...I know of no other way. And yes...in 99.9% of the cases I still add more resin and fiberglass so the bumper has more integrity. Depending on who made your bumper.

DUB
Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 PM
sosugrad
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
Obviously it was your choice. I do not think you will regret it.

But...I will offer you this. if...when you go and install this front bumper...and you are REALLY wanting to get the seam SUPER tight and clean.....PM me....and I will get you my shop phone number and I can walk you through how I get these fiberglass bumpers to fit like a glove and the seam is prefect.

YES...it is a slight pain...but ...if you want it right...I know of no other way. And yes...in 99.9% of the cases I still add more resin and fiberglass so the bumper has more integrity. Depending on who made your bumper.

DUB
Thank you, should be about 2 weeks when I will take you up on the offer

Get notified of new replies

To fiberglass front bumper advice

Quick Reply: fiberglass front bumper advice