Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C5 Door Delaminated...Can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Default C5 Door Delaminated...Can it be fixed?

While replacing my outer door window seals I noticed a small movement or flex between the inner door panel and outer door skin in the area of the rear view mirror. I didn't have that movement on the passenger side. At one time the original owner did have bodywork done to the drivers door and I'm wondering if it being hit caused the delamination? My question is...
Can I somehow get a urethane adhesive into that area, clamp it up over night and be good to go ? The area in question is a raised "mounting boss" or platform that makes contact with the inside of the outer door skin.

I should have taken a photo while i had it apart so you guys can see what I'm referring to.....sorry !
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
While replacing my outer door window seals I noticed a small movement or flex between the inner door panel and outer door skin in the area of the rear view mirror. I didn't have that movement on the passenger side. At one time the original owner did have bodywork done to the drivers door and I'm wondering if it being hit caused the delamination? My question is...
Can I somehow get a urethane adhesive into that area, clamp it up over night and be good to go ? The area in question is a raised "mounting boss" or platform that makes contact with the inside of the outer door skin.

I should have taken a photo while i had it apart so you guys can see what I'm referring to.....sorry !
A photo is worth a thousand words.....so without being able to see what you are seeing...it is just all guesswork.

DUB
Old 09-19-2015, 10:40 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
A photo is worth a thousand words.....so without being able to see what you are seeing...it is just all guesswork.

DUB
Thanks Dub, I'm trying to find something online...if not I'll have to pull the door panel off again and take a picture or maybe even a short video of the offending area.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 PM
idohavemail
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update on this? I wanna fix mine too.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:21 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by idohavemail
I haven't had a chance to do anything to it. Soon as I get some time I will tackle the repair and document It.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by idohavemail
Start a thread and post good photos. Photos are a MUST in this situation.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Door Delaminated...Can it be fixed?

Quick Reply: C5 Door Delaminated...Can it be fixed?