Remove Black Coating on Windshield Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:27 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Remove Black Coating on Windshield Trim

I am working on my 79 for paint later this fall.
What is the black coating on the chrome windshield and rear window trim, and how is best way to remove it. Its on there really tough.

What would you recoat the chrome frames with for the satin black finish it now has

Thank You
8Valve
Old 09-28-2015, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The factory trim should have a layer of some special zinc chromate primer that looks lime green in color under the black.

I get this stuff off two ways....and it all depends on the day I am doing it and how I feel at the time.

I use Klean -Strip's Aircraft stripper and steel wool. PROPER use of ALL protective attire and correct environment is HIGHLY ADVISED.

The other way is I through them in my blast cabinet and media blast them.

By me media blasting them..they will have a slight rough texture...which will aid the etch primer that I apply on them. I use SEM black etch primer and also the SEM flat black and or satin black paint.

These moldings will require 'possible' touch-ups over time. BECAUSE....GM had the best stuff you can get to put on them (which is now about impossible to obtain) and they still had problems in time with what they put on it.

Obviously...I am doing these processes with the moldings OFF the car. I have done it with them still on the car but it is just a simple feathering of the problem areas and spraying them on the car. Which is obviously a temporary fix which is all the customer whose car I did this to wanted.

DUB
Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

DUB; Thanks for the valuable info. Your comment of the zinc Chromate primer is interesting. On my 79 the black is chipped off in may places, small and large. However, there is no evidence of any primer under the Black. Under the black is nice chrome or at least polished finish.

This raises the question that maybe some previous owner simple painted the trim over the chrome? Mine is a BASE model, I wonder if any 79 vettes had a bright windshield/rear window trim and some other options gave the black trim ?

8valve

Originally Posted by DUB
The factory trim should have a layer of some special zinc chromate primer that looks lime green in color under the black.

I get this stuff off two ways....and it all depends on the day I am doing it and how I feel at the time.

I use Klean -Strip's Aircraft stripper and steel wool. PROPER use of ALL protective attire and correct environment is HIGHLY ADVISED.

The other way is I through them in my blast cabinet and media blast them.

By me media blasting them..they will have a slight rough texture...which will aid the etch primer that I apply on them. I use SEM black etch primer and also the SEM flat black and or satin black paint.

These moldings will require 'possible' touch-ups over time. BECAUSE....GM had the best stuff you can get to put on them (which is now about impossible to obtain) and they still had problems in time with what they put on it.

Obviously...I am doing these processes with the moldings OFF the car. I have done it with them still on the car but it is just a simple feathering of the problem areas and spraying them on the car. Which is obviously a temporary fix which is all the customer whose car I did this to wanted.

DUB
Old 09-28-2015, 07:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have come across the zinc chromate primer before....so it is possible that these moldings have been sprayed again.

I do believe that the trim for your 79 should be black on the windshield pillars and the one that goes across the top. And I 'think that the T-top trim is also black....along with the rear T-top mount is also black where the T-top pinned into it when you install the T-top. I may be mistaken...because I think by 1980 they were black as I stated.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 09-29-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:50 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

DUB, thanks for the clarification.

8Valve

Originally Posted by DUB
I have come across the zinc chromate primer before....so it is possible that these moldings have been sprayed again.

I do believe that the trim for your 79 should be black on the windshield pillars and the one that goes across the top. And I 'think that the T-top trim is also black....along with the rear T-top mount is also black where the T-top pinned into ti when you install the T-top. I may be mistaken...because I think by 1980 they were black as i stated.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Remove Black Coating on Windshield Trim

Quick Reply: Remove Black Coating on Windshield Trim