Metallic paint question for "DUB"

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Metallic paint question for "DUB"

DUB,
To recap, my intent is take my 71 coupe (Brands Hatch Green) to a local shop after I prep and gelcoat. The shop I have narrowed down to has really nice equipment and the two completed cars I have seen exceeded what I am expecting.

My question is on the process...the painter said he would probably do the spray out with the car disassembled. Doors off, t-tops, rear valance, headlamps, ect. He says with the water based paint, consistant air pressure, this won't be an issue. I dont like to second guess people but it is my dime. It seems with the spray process there is pros and cons of different ways.

What say you?
Thanks, Kevin
Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
DUB,
To recap, my intent is take my 71 coupe (Brands Hatch Green) to a local shop after I prep and gelcoat. The shop I have narrowed down to has really nice equipment and the two completed cars I have seen exceeded what I am expecting.

My question is on the process...the painter said he would probably do the spray out with the car disassembled. Doors off, t-tops, rear valance, headlamps, ect. He says with the water based paint, consistant air pressure, this won't be an issue. I dont like to second guess people but it is my dime. It seems with the spray process there is pros and cons of different ways.

What say you?
Thanks, Kevin
Kevin,

I have shot water based paint and it is AMAZING...and there are differences in the manufacturer's who offer it...so...they are not ALL the same. SO...if the painter has MASTERED it....GREAT!

I know from when I went to get certified in it...the paint I was shooting had very, very good coverage. SO...it took LESS paint to achieve full coverage.

With that 'said'. IF the painter REALLY KNOWS the paint he is using...and has done full re-paint with parts off the car and they match PERFECTLY.....then...let the shop do it.

BUT...have a CRYSTAL CLEAR understanding that IF the panels do not match PERFECTLY (as if it were assembled and shot)...they will do it all over. And if and when you go and pick up the car...you really want to look it over...and preferably NOT in direct sunlight. Look at it from a distance ( 50 feet away or so)....and if the day is overcast....that is the BEST/WORST condition to view it in. IF the paint and metallic structure and color saturation is PERFECT.....it will let you know it. IF it is not right...the overcast conditions will let you know right away. SO an overcast day is the BEST condition to use to find the WORST about your paint job....in my opinion.

Then...I use a very bight light in a dark room ( such as my paint booth with the lights off). What this does is offers the conditions at night when your car is going through intersections. The bright light being so intense in a dark environment can show up things that you would not see on the overcast day or in direct sunlight.

MY concern is ( do to not knowing what he is shooting)....is that IF the doors are laying flat....the metallics MAY LOOK different compared to the sides of the fenders and quarters. So...hopefully the panels are positioned in the manner as how they would be when installed. Did that make sense??? So...hanging the hood ( in my opinion) would be wrong because when mounted it is laying flat.

All I know is that I would not do it that way but I am rather picky in my procedures.....and I actually do not have the time to re-paint a car......and I also do not like 2 full paint jobs going on a car...back to back. That is allowing a lot of material to be on the car....so when specific parts are installed...they can cause for a problem due to the 2 paint jobs being so thick. This car is not a car in a production shop that often times does not matter if it gets shot twice or three times....because chances are it is a disposable mass produced car of today.

So..in my mind..I would not even take the chance. And I have gotten accustomed to my procedure...and I fell it is time well spent...especially when I have spent countless hours getting the body ready for paint.

DUB
Old 10-15-2015, 07:48 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

DUB,

I completely understand how the light and angles can show the differences. My wife had the rear lower cap repaired on her car(pearl paint) the only light it looked bad was under a street lamp......it looked like two different colors.

Fortunately most people don't really look at paint like you do. When I look at the new Escalades, I'm surprised at the mismatch between the plastic and metal parts, its VERY noticeable to me. 99.9% of the owners never notice this or could pick it out even if it was brought to their attention. Its kind of like being able to pick out a turkey in the woods if your not a hunter, you have to know what to look for.

I understand your point, you have to "sell" your paint job, I just have to enjoy my car.

Thanks again, Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Metallic paint question for "DUB"

Quick Reply: Metallic paint question for "DUB"