Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

stupid question about water based car paint.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default stupid question about water based car paint.

How is it supposed to smell?
I'm asking because I just had my car painted, and the painter overcharged me because he said he had to use water-based paint.
I asked him for a bit of the remaining paint because I want to do touch up on very small part.
Turns out the paint he gave me is reeking acetone and I suspect he went solvent based and the overcharge is based on BS.
You guys tell me.

Last edited by Denpo; 11-13-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not knowing what brand of water based paint you are referring to...hard to say exactly.

That smell is hard for me to describe...kinda like...how does a piece of steak smell when it is on the grill cooking? Try to describe that smell. I have shot the NEXA Aquabase and it smells to me kinda like scented water.....like I wrote...hard to describe/

If you can get to a paint shop that sells the water based paint that he claims that he used...go there and take a sniff.

DUB
Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by DUB
Not knowing what brand of water based paint you are referring to...hard to say exactly.

That smell is hard for me to describe...kinda like...how does a piece of steak smell when it is on the grill cooking? Try to describe that smell. I have shot the NEXA Aquabase and it smells to me kinda like scented water.....like I wrote...hard to describe/

If you can get to a paint shop that sells the water based paint that he claims that he used...go there and take a sniff.

DUB
I gave a major paint dealer a call, and he confirm water based shouldn't have a solvant 'jump at you nose' smell.
So I called the painter and he confirmed, he used solvent based color for the interior and small parts, and water based on the body.
He used water based on the body because it cures at a slower rate than acetone, gives more time for bigger surface.
I guess that explains why.

Case closed.

Get notified of new replies

To stupid question about water based car paint.

Quick Reply: stupid question about water based car paint.