painting equipment question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Bherefor13
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting equipment question

Hello guys,
I have a small air compressor. I want to learn the basic auto painting. I understand, that I do not have any skills, but I hope to achieve certain results. I need a respirator and a spray gun. What model (inexpensive) would you suggest for a newbie?
Old 12-01-2015, 08:45 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,
Everyone here has different backgrounds and exp levels so their answers will vary. I owned a cabinet shop for about 15 years and spray between 10 an 50 gallons of "chemical coatings" per month. I sprayed very ornate items in vertical situations so I was very good. I typical car sprayout is VERY easy compared to the spraying I done (sorry car guys).
This being said, I am doing my body work but not the final paint. Why? Because when I was in the cabinet business, I was like DUB, I knew my products and my ENVIRONMENT.

I know the variables that can happen and don't want spend the time to control them! It took me many years to learn these variables and not all of them applies to auto coatings.

Start small, paint some undercarriage parts! Be safe with these chemicals! Good luck.
Kevin
Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Honestly if you want to learn...and you have vocational college in your area with an autobody curriculum...I would suggest in enrolling in it so you do not have the expense in tools to 'just learn'.

Not wanting to be a 'kill joy'...BUT....if you choose to go out and buy cheap equipment...to learn on. That is all well and good. But when it comes to painting the car....UNLESS you have mastered your paint guns and know them inside and out...and how the paint you are using work with this equipment....you MIGHT need to re-invest in better guns and air compressor. Like I wrote..'MIGHT' need to. I can paint with some crappy guns....But what I have is hundreds of hours of 'trigger time' with a paint gun. And I know what paint does and what I look for when I am painting and know how to adjust the gun to achieve the results I need to achieve. And I KNOW this because I have 'fallen on my face' so many times....with product failures and PROCEDURES being deviated....and it showed up. I have VERY STRICT guidelines I follow..and I DO NOT WAVER from them.

I can not give you any suggestions on what guns to buy due to I ahve really high dollar paint guns beacsue I do painting fora living. I hope or know that others may 'chime in' and let you know what they bought and how well it worked.

With that all said....you are embarking on a process in the autobody field that is GREAT when you get it right and can 'fall on its face' instantly if you get something WRONG. SO...it is ALL about the prep and being consistent in your PROCEDURES. And even with a respirator...you MUST think about the VAPORS and overspray. Basically NOTHING used in the autobody field as an applied product is good for your health. JUST BE CAREFUL!!!

DUB
Old 12-02-2015, 05:01 AM
Bherefor13
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Honestly if you want to learn...and you have vocational college in your area with an autobody curriculum...I would suggest in enrolling in it so you do not have the expense in tools to 'just learn'.

Not wanting to be a 'kill joy'...BUT....if you choose to go out and buy cheap equipment...to learn on. That is all well and good. But when it comes to painting the car....UNLESS you have mastered your paint guns and know them inside and out...and how the paint you are using work with this equipment....you MIGHT need to re-invest in better guns and air compressor. Like I wrote..'MIGHT' need to. I can paint with some crappy guns....But what I have is hundreds of hours of 'trigger time' with a paint gun. And I know what paint does and what I look for when I am painting and know how to adjust the gun to achieve the results I need to achieve. And I KNOW this because I have 'fallen on my face' so many times....with product failures and PROCEDURES being deviated....and it showed up. I have VERY STRICT guidelines I follow..and I DO NOT WAVER from them.

DUB
thanks

I do not have any vocational college in my area with autobody curriculum. I want to ask an auto paint professionals to give me basic lessons (I’ll pay of course) But now I want to buy necessary equipment. I have Craftsman compressor. You are right I do not have expensive spray gun now. What can you say about it https://www.mrosupply.com/tools/blow...guardair-corp/ Or search anything cheaper?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The 'gun' you posted is for shooting something like undercoating and NOT PAINT.....it is NOT a paint gun.

You want to look for a gravity feed paint gun....and IF you can get an HVLP paint gun...that would be better. 1.3 mm or 1.4 mm needle in it. I know some guys have bought kits that allow then to have various sizes of needles and air caps...which is needed for the different type of paints being applied. You can get by and learn on one...such as 1.4mm ( for example)...but ti does depend on what you are planning on shooting.

DUB
Old 12-03-2015, 09:14 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

DeVilbiss makes a gun called Starting Line that I have seen some people get decent results with. I started with their Finish Line and now use that for primer only.
If you want cheap prices Harbor Freight is probably one of the cheapest. Don't know a thing about the quality of the guns or who makes them.
I will say that I have found the gun does make a difference in the outcome. I know vocational college was mentioned did you also check vocational high schools. I attended one nights as I am just a weekend warrior on painting.

Get notified of new replies

To painting equipment question

Quick Reply: painting equipment question