C2 Roadster Door/ Vent Window Mount Hole is Wallowed Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:18 PM
miked16
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default C2 Roadster Door/ Vent Window Mount Hole is Wallowed Out

Hi Guys,

On my 1963 Roadster, the upper hole to mount the vent window frame to the inner door for both the driver and passenger side are broken out. I am guessing this is a common problem. I was planning on laminating some fiberglass cloth and adding some VPA to remedy the situation. Will this solve the problem or will it break again after a few years use. Is there a "best practice" to solve this problem?

Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are correct on laminating it. It will be a bit touchy due to the screw and washer that goes in there....must have enough flat surface area so you do not bust it out on the first attempt.

I use a piece of sheet wax so I can create the contour and shape and then laminate it. I do not use any VPA. The reason I use sheet wax is due to the steel inner structure that is riveted to the door right by where you are going to be laminating...AND the shape I am trying to make. You can use whatever you like as a backer.

HEADS-UP!!! Due to the tight shape you are more than likely going to make...break down your mat and use very small pieces and strands to create what you want.

DUB
Old 12-30-2015, 07:29 PM
miked16
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks DUB for the encouragement and the tip about chopping the mat, I think a finely chopped mat will make the difference to help the thing from pulling apart.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by miked16
Thanks DUB for the encouragement and the tip about chopping the mat, I think a finely chopped mat will make the difference to help the thing from pulling apart.
Keep in mind that I do not cut the strands to all the same length...I also have long ones. I basically filet the 1.5 ounce mat so it is not as thick....thus easier to form. The main thing is to try to apply the fiberglass strands...even if they are at full length...in a volume of them that allow you to work them into the shape you want.....versus...you trying to plaster a large postage stamp size piece that does not want to do complex bends.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Roadster Door/ Vent Window Mount Hole is Wallowed Out

Quick Reply: C2 Roadster Door/ Vent Window Mount Hole is Wallowed Out