Paint over paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Paint over paint?

I'm certain I know the answer to this question, but I thought I would post it anyway.

I plan on repainting inside the trunk of my 55. It has the original red laquer and, since it has been protected from the elements all these years, is in pretty good shape.

Would it be acceptable to use a primer sealer over the original paint and use a single stage polyurethane paint as a top coat? I would never consider this for the body, but could I get away with it inside the trunk?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktholin
I'm certain I know the answer to this question, but I thought I would post it anyway.

I plan on repainting inside the trunk of my 55. It has the original red laquer and, since it has been protected from the elements all these years, is in pretty good shape.

Would it be acceptable to use a primer sealer over the original paint and use a single stage polyurethane paint as a top coat? I would never consider this for the body, but could I get away with it inside the trunk?
YES...you CAN do it that way...just keep in mind that the sealer will not stick to those surfaces that have NOT been properly prepped.

DUB
Old 02-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks, DUB!

Get notified of new replies

To Paint over paint?

Quick Reply: Paint over paint?